[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Another Live and Learn Experience.....sigh

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:33:22 -0700 (PDT)

knowing very well that all pancakes have two sides....friends don't do that to
each other, which is why I have so few of them....Ed
Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  It's been a while; but I just felt
the pain of being screwed over by a friend. Entirely over a dog of course. I
was told that I had the opportunity to buy a Bailey puppy for a pet price. I
really wasn't interested in buying a puppy as money is tight and I'm trying to
finish my bitch this year so that is where my resources are being spent; but
I've always wanted a male puppy out of Bailey.

The breeder was having a difficult time placing them and was really only
interested in placing the puppies in good homes. He got what he wanted - a nice
show bitch out of the litter. My friend who bred the Dam was helping him place
the puppies. She said I should look at this puppy as he was really nice. I told
her to bring him to a local dog show. Well the puppy was stunning. Exactly what
I would expect Bailey to produce and exactly what I was looking for in a puppy.
The puppy had spent his life in the basement of a house so this was his first
time out anywere. He was timid. We had to drag him out of the crate; we had to
catch him in the Xpen....but he wasn't nutty or spooky....just scared. I spent
the weekend working with the puppy getting him leash trained....brought him
hotel room; took him to a local breeder in the area to run in his kennels; I
snuck him into the all breed show and walked him around. I even managed to
track down the Cliffs and asked
them to come to look at the puppy at the show which they very kindly did;
walking through a very large parking lot to find me after we got separated.
Everyone liked him...thought he was definitely worth growing out. By the end of
the weekend he was giving everyone kisses.

So I tell my friend that I would take the puppy. I was very very excited about
the idea of taking him to the Shows in AR this weekend and socializing him even
more. I had my name for him all picked out. I didn't have room to take him home
in my van with me...though in retrospect...I should have made room. So I sent
him home with my friend and planned on picking him up in a few days.

Well lo and behold I was told yesterday that the puppy had been sold to someone
else for substantially more than I was going to pay. I'm sure a finders fee was
involved. I don't begrudge anyone the opportunity to sell their puppies for
whatever they can get; but I was told from the start the exact price of the
puppy and I wasn't even given an opportunity counter the offer.

In the whole big picture of bad things that people do to you; this is small
potatoes, but when a friend does it to you; that makes it just a little more
painful....a little more hard to take. I'm just trying to smile and remind
myself....this is all a live and learn experience and thought I would share so
others can learn too. Next time I'll make room in the van. :o)

Cindy

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com