[ SHOWGSD-L ] Animal auctions

  • From: Schipstar@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 11:45:41 EDT

I wanted to respond to this topic, as I do a lot of rescue, and these
auctions are a nightmare for dogs.
Horse people do things differently than dog people do.  I have both, but I am
always surprised at what goes on in the horse world, as it's nothing for a
horse to have many homes in his lifetime, as he outlives his usefulness or
situations change, they're sold.  Because they're much more expensive to keep
and
require much more care, special zoning, etc., there is a greater need to create
a place to market them.  MANY of these horses end up being bought by
slaughter houses.  An auction, for most people selling a horse they care about,
is
always the last resort, taken only after all other options have been explored.

Thoroughbreds are a world entirely unto themselves.  These are animals that
sell for millions of dollars.  So, I suppose, if that kind of money is being
spent to buy an animal, that animal would hopefully get excellent care, because
they're a big investment and potential future moneymaker for the buyer.  Even
then, I would just die if I ever had to resort to sell a horse at auction, as
again, you really have no control over what type of situation your horse may
end up in.

Dogs on the other hand, aren't sold at higher prices at auction, etc.,
because no reputable breeder would ever allow one of their puppies to end up in
dog auction if they have any control over it.  Therefore, a majority of the dog
who go to auction are poorly bred, excess baggage dogs, who someone needs to
unload to bring in "new blood".

Once in a while, by some great misfortune, I've seen champions end up at
auction.  This is a breeder's ultimate nightmare, and it's a very good reason
have a contract that protects one of your dogs from ending up in that
situation.  The only people who buy dogs at auction are puppy mills who want to
add
"new blood" to their "livestock", or rescue people who are trying to save the
dogs from the puppy mills.  They are never sold for high prices, a champion (if
they're unfortunate enough to end up in the wrong hands) can often be had for a
fraction of what it costs to finish a dog, at most, a couple of hundred
dollars.  Many times, the puppy mills buying dogs at auction will buy a dog who
is
"unbreedable" just to get the dog's AKC papers so they can use them on a
subsitute dog in order to breed "AKC registered dogs".

If you put blood, sweat and tears and love into breeding top quality dogs,
you want to know where each and every one of your puppies go.  If you allow
your
animals to be auctioned off, you have absolutely no control over the type of
place that dog ends up in.  As an ethical breeder, you hopefully have a good
contract that spells out your guarantees and also has things in it to protect
your dog, including a stipulation that if for any reason during the dog's
entire lifetime the buyer can't keep the puppy, it will be returned to you.

I can't say I agree with what I call the "livestock" mentality in horses, but
I do see the need for it.  I see no need for "dog auctions" as the only
people they'll ever benefit are puppy mills.

Lynn

In a message dated 5/9/2005 12:02:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>Diane and David, just some thoughts on auctions.
>>
>>The top thoroughbred horses(Kentucky) are sold at auction by the breeders.
>> It is the best way to get top dollar for their work.
>>
>>Trainers, with Vets and owners show up(with their check books) to check them
>> out and perhaps make a purchase. I for one, have thought this might be a
>>way
>> for breeders to get the best direct access to potential buyers/owners. In
>> some cases, pinhookers(speculators) will take a risk and purchase them with
>> the idea of  growing  them up for a future sale(auction). You can always
>>put
>> a reserve(minimum price) on the animals that you have entered.
>>
>> Mike, rambling again

Lynn Brown - Ebonystar Schipperkes/Angelsgate Rescue
http://www.angelsgaterescue.com/ & http://www.schipperkerescue.com/
Post Office Box 92283 - Long Beach, CA 90809 (562) 428-9832
...special dogs for special people since 1972