[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "And they called it puppy love"

  • From: "Sarah Bishop" <bliz1998@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:49:04 -0400

I think dogs love on some level.

All my dogs have rules one is dogs are on the bed when invited, and when
invited they stay by the foot.  My old female considered it a morning ritual
that no matter what she would slink up and cuddle against me.  This was a
dog who considered cuddling and hugging totally beneath her every other hour
of the day.  She wasn't a very demonstrative dog but she was as close to me
as she could be during the day but that was as far as it went.

She was a funny dog to.  Laying on the couch with me one day she dropped her
kong on the floor.  I got a firm nose bonk so I looked at her she maintained
the contact, looked down at her kong then back to me.  I just laughed told
her nice try and went back to my book.  Out of the corner of my eye I could
see her hang her head off the couch to stare at it, then hop off to get it
and right back.  Twice more she did this drop the kong and try to get me to
get it for her.  The third time she let it lay and went back to sleep.  Now
had I indulged her this game of reverse fetch would have went on as long as
I let it.

My current dog took a bit more to settle in.  Possibly IMO because unlike my
last dog (shelter dog) James came from a breeder and he had people.  At
first I didn't exist in his world except as someone who made food and water
appear.  As he started accepting me as boss it was funny because he didn't
know where his boundaries were and he would get close for pets, cuddles
whatever, then look real nervous about it.  But at night he would pace and
pace and wouldn't settle.  Finally we got a routine I'd call him over he'd
get his front end on the bed for a cuddle, pats and a go lay down now.  And
he did and was down the rest of the night.  He quit looking for that about
the time it was obvious that he was my dog.  Now he comes for hugs on
request but doesn't seek them out.

During the day though wherever I sit, stand whatever you're pretty well
guaranteed to see him not very far from me.  Only exception is if while he's
down his cat comes and lays with him.  Then he'll stay there and watch me
rather than follow so as not to disturb the cat.

Sarah

PC Magazine?s 2007 editors? choice for best Web mail?award-winning Windows
Live Hotmail.