[ SHOWGSD-L ] Anal Glands/Sacs

  • From: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 20:48:06 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/2007 5:54:55 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> This is different that parianal fistulas and the two are sometimes
> confused. If the anal glands are truly gone, then they do not expell and
> do not move.
Do any of you know why dogs have anal glands?  (Or as someone pointed out,
more correctly called sacs.)  What is their purpose besides leaving a very
nasty
scent?
   I haven't given too much thought to anal glands since the time I was
demonstrating for a newbie on how to express them and got a big squirt in the
face.....but now that we're talking about them, I'm curious.
   Jamie