[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Anal Glands

  • From: BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx
  • To: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 07:53:55 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/2006 9:51:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx writes:
have a dog that has had two instances of infected anal glands (not
impacted) - it was treated with antibiotics and the problem was cleared.
Now my vet
wants to remove the anal glands - says this issue tends to be a  recurring
problem and it is much easier just to remove them - out and no  further
concern.
I am not crazy about any type of surgery and I  worry about bowel control
after the surgery.  When I told this to the  vet, she looked at me like I was
nuts - said anal glands removal had  nothing to do with bowel control and I
must
have it confused with  fistulas.  Ok, guys.... please educate me so I can
make an informed  decision.  Thanks.
Dania
Hi Dania,
I had a male who would repeatedly get infected anal glands, we'd treat them
and they would reoccur. In that dog it actually led to a small fistula forming.
 My vet said that in these cases removal of the anals is a wise decision in
preventing the possible problem with fistulas.  If you have a surgeon/vet who
has done this surgery many times (sounds like your vet is not that person) it's
not a problem, according to my vet the nerves for bowel control are right
there and if damaged during the anal gland removal would definitely cause a
problem.  I've had anals removed from three of my dogs in the past and not one
problem with control.  You just have to get a vet with experience.
Best of luck.

Pat