[ SHOWGSD-L ] An excellent explanation of a complicated and dang...

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:29:45 EDT

(permission to crosspost)
This is long and I apologize for that. I  keep editing, trying to make it as
concise as possible, but this is an extremely  complicated situation that
cannot be summed up in a couple of paragraphs..

There is a very bad bill pending in Congress. PAWS was originally  proposed
by animal rights (AR) organizations to, ostensibly, get rid of "puppy  mills"
but, if it passes, it will insure that eventually most, probably almost  all,
pure-bred and/or working dogs will come from commercial breeders, i.e.  those
very puppy mills. It will make
pure-bred cat breeding impossible and  will also make
rescue prohibitively expensive. PAWS is an extremely bad  bill!! If you love
your animals, oppose it vigorously!

PAWS, as written,  is confusing, arbitrary and NO ONE knows for sure exactly
what all of its  provisions will mean for animal owners in the US but it will
be bad. The pet-law  list has been running 100-200 mails a day about PAWS for
two months, and still  there is no
consensus about precisely what its provisions will mean except  that what the
HSUS and the AKC are saying about it is not true. (BTW, the AKC,  without
whose  support this bill would not pass, infuriated most of its  members by
presenting AKC support for this bill as a fait accompli with no  discussion
among
its members -
but then corporate AKC will make a lot of  money if this bill passes while
the dog owners they are supposed to represent  will lose. The AKC even changed
its historic mission statement to reflect this  change in their priorities.)

I must admit that my head is spinning as I  try to figure out what this law
will actually mean to me and other people but I  have already determined that,
even though I breed a litter of puppies no  more than every four years, still
there are at least 4 ways that I will lose my  exemption as a small breeder
and I will have to comply with the USDA regulations  which will be impossibly
costly and absolutely inimical to the rearing of  good home-raised hounds.

Lawyers and people who have much legislative  experience are as confused
about this law as the rest of us (and this is even  before the bureaucrats who
will enforce it get involved!) But certain things are  becoming apparent.
Rescue
groups are claiming that they will be exempt but that  is not true unless the
bill is rewritten. PAWS, if enforced, will devastate  rescue in this country.
Pure-bred cat breeding will almost cease to exist and  the hobby breeders of
dogs
(the good show and working dog people who produce  the best animals) will not
fare much better. And now it is becoming apparent  that many home breeders of
rabbits, guinea pigs and other pets will also be  badly affected.

This bill was hatched when the Doris Day Animal League -  an animal rights,
not an animal welfare, organization - lost a lawsuit (DDAL v.  Veneman).  They
were trying to force the USDA to regulate everyone who  breeds any animals,
not just the large
commercial breeders who are already  covered by the Animal Welfare Act (AWA).
They lost that lawsuit because the  courts concluded that Congress had no
intent to regulate hobby breeders under  the AWA. This new bill WILL DEFINITELY
ESTABLISH THAT INTENT and, while its  provisions are already bad enough, I am
sure
that the DDAL and other AR  groups are already preparing a lawsuit to file if
PAWS passes which will try to  eliminate the few exemptions small breeders
can claim under PAWS. They will have  an excellent chance of winning that
lawsuit.

This bill radically changes  the federal government's relationship with
animals in the US. PAWS is not about  animal cruelty, neglect or puppy mills.
"Puppy mills", i.e.commercial breeders,  are already very well covered under
the
AWA. If the AWA were  properly
enforced, all those abuses decried by the AR groups (and mourned by  us all)
would not exist.  And, in addition, every state, county and  municipality in
this country already has laws regarding cruelty and
neglect.

Animal rights groups want to control and possibility eliminate your
relationship with your animals and PAWS is a crucial first step for them.   Do
a deep
background search on what some of the more
extreme people behind AR  actually think and want to implement or let me know
and I will send you a list  of verified quotes that will chill your soul.
Many of the leaders of the AR  movement are envisioning a future where we will
ALL be petless vegans and  the
only animals will be ones that can survive in the wild. They won't get  that
far, of course, but in the meantime they may inflict a lot of damage. PAWS  is
definitely part of that damage.

Please do whatever you can do to stop  his bill which creates another huge
intrusion by the federal government into our  lives and threatens our futures
with our animals.

Call and write  your Senator. In the Senate, PAWS is
S.1139. Also call the Senate Agriculture  Committee
(202) 224.2035 and the Senate Appropriations Committee
(202)  224-5270 to let them know you oppose
S.1139.

Call your  Representative. In the House, PAWS is HB
2669. Also call the House  Agriculture Committee
(202) 225-2171.

Check the links below for more  information and more
ways you can oppose PAWS.

Thanks for  listening,

Geraldine

Websites with PAWS info and how to fight  it:

_http://www.pet-law.com/index.html_ (http://www.pet-law.com/index.html)

_http://saova.org/1139.html_ (http://saova.org/1139.html)
_http://www.dfow.org/paws.htm_ (http://www.dfow.org/paws.htm)

_http://ncraoa.com/alerts.html_ (http://ncraoa.com/alerts.html)

Permission to crosspost

Ginger  Cleary, GA
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order  to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one." Benjamin  Franklin.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)