[ SHOWGSD-L ] An educated consumer...

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:46:33 -0400

FYI........I found out about this many, many years ago, but didn't know
if it was still true today.  Recently, I've had the opportunity to
re-visit this again.  I went into my local store where I usually buy my
dogs wood shavings for their runs.  I only needed one bag so I asked the
owner of the store to get me one.  When I went to pay for it, I took out
my charge card and she looked at it and said, "You have to spend at
least $10 to use your credit card."  I told her I only needed and wanted
one bag of the shavings.  She let out a big sigh and said, "Okay I'll
accept it this time, but not the next time."  Well the "NEXT TIME"
didn't come again, because I didn't go back to this store.  Next case:
I remembered someone on this List saying if you wanted to buy dog toys
cheap to go to the Salvation Army and buy them there.  Great idea!  I
went the first time and bought a bunch of stuffed toys for them.  Took
them home and washed them and they had a grand old time tearing them
apart.  No big deal......didn't cost much.  I spent over $10 and got
more than enough to keep the little darlings happy for awhile.  I go
back the second time.  This time they didn't have as much of a choice so
I laid my items on the counter and the price totaled to about $7.  I
reached into my pocket and gave her my credit card.  She said, "Oh I
can't take this".  You have to spend at least $10 to use a credit card.
"IN THE SALVATION ARMY of all places?", I ask myself.  Most people who
shop here do so on a fixed or limited income and perhaps $7 is all they
can pay and a credit card is all they have in their pocket at the time.
You mean to tell me, they're going to turn someone away in need because
they couldn't afford to spend the $10 limit the store owner posted on
his wall?  Then one day after a dog show, I decided to stop at a local
Chinese restaurant.  The bill came to approximately $8 and change.  I
pulled out my credit card and handed it to the lady.  So the lady says
to me, "Oh you have to spend $10 if you are using a credit card.  Now
hold on a minute here.  You mean to tell me I have to order another egg
roll just to satisfy the $10 limit imposed by the store owner?  Give me
a break!!  I paid cash for something at Petsmart and I didn't have the
exact amount so I owed 74 cents change.  I paid the 74cents on my credit
card.  No problem.  So I did my research on the internet and just as I
knew it was all those years ago, still holds true today.  A store can
not put a credit card limit on anything.  It is not against the law,
however, but it is against the credit card companies policy.  They sign
a contract with the credit card company and in that contract it says,
they are not allowed to charge a limit.  If you find a store that tries
to get away with this, you can report them to the credit card company
and their privileges with that credit card company can be taken away.
So consumer, know thy rights!!!!  Best wishes,  Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS