[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: An article in the Review

  • From: Regatta <zilla@xxxxxxx>
  • To: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx,showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:20:52 -0600

At 02:12 PM 1/10/07 -0500, MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
>I guess I disagree because it shouldn't be taken away because YOU feel like
>it.  It should be taken away because something dangerous is in it, or you
>need
>to put something in it.

Then what would be the difference in the dog's mind?  Taking away the food
is simply taking away the food, to them.  If they don't learn at a young
age that YOU control the food, the affection,  or the games and toys, a
pushy dominant puppy will learn to rule the roost pretty quick, causing
lots more problems down the road.  A puppy who learns that humans give,
maybe take and give back will probably learn respect and compliance in most
situations.  We expect our dogs to be tolerant of people who will train,
groom, handle, or take them away, we want them to be respectful and not
exhibit aggression or other behaviours which might come naturally and can
be eliminated with good puppy socializing and raising, and we definitely
DON'T want them to nail an errant child who may pass too close to something
that is "theirs".  Teaching a dog tolerance and good social skills is part
of raising a happy and well adjusted animal.

>I won't tolerate my dog growling at me for foolish things, and I CAN take
>anything I need to from him (including high valued RMBs and pig ears), but
>taking
>things away just to "test" the dog or what have you?  Good way to get bit
>IMO, and not the dog's fault.

Without training and testing, how do you know he will or will not
bite?  Your experience with your dog works for you, but I think with a big
percentage of dogs, good leadership skills need to be established while
they are puppies, and taking their food away shouldn't ever be a cause for
concern.

Jill

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.