[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: An Interesting article on the White GSD

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 08:50:44 -0700 (PDT)

It is a interesting article and the proof as I believe is in Stephanitz
writings as I own his first tiny book printed in Germany in
German and several other copies 1921-1952 one printed in German and one
transferred into 1st English version printed in Germany.

As written by Stephanitz in his book written in Germany...

"Although I stated in the first chapter that a dog's colour is without any
significance from the point of view of work, when judging him it cannot be
completely disregarded.  However, the judge should not be influenced by any
artistic consideration but by the fact that a clear and strong colouring points
to a healthy and hardy physical condition of the dog. Any decline in the
strength of the original colour, called fading, is at the same time an urgent
warning of physical weakness and lack of power resistance, especially towards
diseases. Whilst an intensification of dark colour is, first and foremost the
outcome of selective breeding, paling is mostly a sign of wrong breeding or
overbreeding.  For this reason the bearers of such colours must be considered
less suitable for breeding purposes.  With dogs, however, who have been bred to
white colour, where the pigmentation has been retained by the skin, it is not a
sign of paling but of breed. This,
 however, applied only to other breeds: for shepherd-dogs, both smooth and
rough haired, white is forbidden and only allowed for shaggy haired ones as the
descendants of the old sheep dogs bred for white."

The History of the German Shepherd Dog as I will always sort out finding for
the truth.

Theresa

 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] An Interesting article on the White GSD
 To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx