[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Amish

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: murk@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:34:57 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/2006 9:24:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
murk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I know  nothing about the Amish............but, I understood they were
suppose to  be such God fearing humble people.....

They really are, and I enjoy the heck out of living in their  backyard.

Do you remember the shooting in the school house 10 days ago?  By  nightfall,
through their grief they had called on the shooter's family and had
expressed their forgiveness. When a fund was set up at a local bank, the Amish
elders
insisted the funds also go to the family and children the shooter left
behind.  They expressed that they wanted "to forgive like Christ." I've had  a
lot
more formal religious education then I expect any of them have had, yet I
can't begin to fathom such forgiveness.

Do they treat their dogs like livestock?  They do.  No  different than sheep,
chickens, pigs and cattle.

I have had them do work around here and they built my sister's barn.   I can
tell you the way we elevate our animals to the status of family  members is as
foreign to them as their way of treating dogs as stock is to  us.

They are farmers, and to see their little ones working alongside big yellow
plow horses from dawn to dusk gives new meaning to work ethic.  At days  end,
the people are as tired as the animals, and do they use them up?  Yes,  they
do. Do their 30 somethings look 50?  Yes.  The women have child  after child,
usually assisted by a midwife. It isn't an easy life.  But  they are quick with
a smile and when they ask how you are, it's a genuine  question.  (It
actually takes some getting used to!)

Nevertheless, hardworking, honest, fair, Christian...all seem inadequate to
describe them.

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_