[ SHOWGSD-L ] American/ German

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 11:05:29 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 12/17/11 7:55:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I  don't think I have ever produced a roach back. The main thing is that
they all  seem to have more leg than we are used to  seeing.

I used the roach as an example.  When the Martins were in control in
Germany they felt the roach was the right thing to do. Since he judged their
show, that is what won.  I remember talking to Herr Martin and having him  tell
me that the roach was a sign of strength, like the cornerstone of an  arch
in a bridge.

I understand now in Germany they are trying to breed away from it.

My point is that if you breed to what you see, you had better look at the
rest of the litter from which your breeding stock came, what is behind it,
and  what it has produced, or what the lines produced in other breedings.
That is  hard to do with a dog you just see, and haven't had experience with
other  litters.

I too have seen some nice animals from German/American cross breeding. What
 I haven't seen is much of a line of sucess from those dogs.  Except, for
Lance, of course, but that was an awfull long time ago. Doesn't it seem like
 yesterday?   And, you know what kind of day yesterday was.  I  myself,
spent it at the mall doing close-up magic for shoppers.  It was a  good day.

I think everyone knows I love the German style dogs. I go crazy for that
red color and the power and drive are fantastic. However, since I choose to
show  at AKC shows, I will continue to breed to what I see is our standard.
It  is our standard that we judge against, and it pleases me to be able to
reach  that goal.

Were I in Germany, I would breed to what they interpret their standard to
be.

But, I am not.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together