[ SHOWGSD-L ] American Breeders (was Ads for puppies)

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:37:30 EDT

While having this discussion with other exhibitors, here are some of the
(perceived) problems:

-Lack of honesty, specially when dealing with health issues.
-Bitches that wont get pregnant.
-New people burned out with all the demands from unreasonable  breeders.
-Lack of education keeps new people in the dark.
-Lack of honest, knowledgeable mentors.
-German breeders are far away, and they don't meddle.

I have to say that the lack of honesty when it comes to health issues would
 be my number one concern. Bad ligamentation. Bad skin. Bloat.  Poor
appetite.

Lack of education.....how can you market a dog when you cant explain, in
plain english, what a GSD should look, move, and act like?

And then there are those bloody contracts. Breeders and Rescue groups are
terrible when it comes to contracts.  My brother wanted to adopt 2 American
Eskimos.  Forget it, he got tired of reading after page 2 out of 10.   And
he deals with contracts for a living.  Went with a small rescue group,  they
did a home visit, he got himself a dog that now lives like a king.   Called
them to get a second dog, no problem. Oh, and no ridiculous  contract.

* Ileana  *