[ SHOWGSD-L ] "Always gonna be another mountain...."......

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 04:56:44 -0700 (PDT)

".....Always gonna wanna make it move.
Always gonna be an uphill battle,
sometimes I'm gonna have to loose...
Ain't about how fast I get there,
ain't about whats waiting on the other side....
Its the climb"....Miley Cyrus
A four month old German Shepherd pup is sitting at the Banfield Vet near New
Orleans Lousiana today, receiving hydration, flea preventative, and
antibiotics. For the first time in his short life, he has a full stomach and
knows what it is to be safe. All of this, of course, comes at a price; and LHSH
was there to offer assistance. He will still be in need of an iso foster home
when he is discharged tomorrow, but Lucy and Dawn are working hard to locate
accomodations for him. This is the third puppy who was surrendered to a squalid
shelter by an irresponsible breeder. He was covered with fleas and excrement
living in feces with two larger dogs. The last two puppies did not make it out
in time and the only reason that THIS one did is because Lucy (a RI based
transport/rescue) had  found our information on line. The pup was on the
euthanization table, and the needle poised and ready when the attendant was
told that help was available. This is an instance
 where immediate availabilty of an LHSH Board member was crucial.

At a little over a year, Gus had barely begun to live when his owners
surrendered him to the
Cuyhoga shelter in Ohio. Gus is HW positive, making him undesirable for
adoption as few people can or are willing take on the financial obligation that
is involved in treating HW.
The shelter was kind enough to release a video of Gus playing with one of the
attendants in an effort to entice a rescue commitment...this happy wagging boy,
so full of life will not see the coming week without assistance from LHSH and a
commitment from Rescue. We will not fail him.

Weather permitting, Aurora will be flying to PA within the next few days where
she will be evaluated  and fostered by LHSH Board member, Vicki Burkey. Aurora
is emaciated and has evidenced signs of abuse by her former owner. The Pilots N
Paws program  and Vicki were generous in stepping up for this sweet girl and
giving her another chance at the life she deserves!

A very Senior GSD was awaiting an uncertain fate in a NYC shelter, when LHSH
Board member Joe Maringo spied him and negotiated his release. While it was
hoped that he would be going to a NY rescue, that was not meant to be. Instead,
as soon as transport can be arranged, he will be joining the Senior Set at Pat
Lukos to live out his life in comfort, security and love. Many thanks to Pat
and Joe for looking out for our oldsters!

Lisa Hester, a volunteer from Murray County shelter in Chatsworth Georgia
emailed me with a plea for a year old purebred GSD who was facing his last 48
hours this week.
LHSH Board member Steve Reierstad and Jill Lukasik were immediately on the case
offering not only a foster home, but the pull fees/transport expenses to move
this unwanted boy north! Our many thanks to them both!

These are just a FEW of the many dogs whose stories will be rewritten due to
the continued support of those on this list. The members of Last Hope, Safe
Haven Inc. and the now more than 350 German Shepherds who have gone on to new
lives, are deeply in your debt and on their behalf we offer our eternal
gratitude.

Yes, it IS an uphill battle....
and yes, we may come too late for some....
but, they are SO worth "the climb".
The Team from Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.
Lasthopesafehaven.com
Bridging the gap between Shelter and Rescue
Donations may be made to:
Paypal via windwych@xxxxxxxxx
or:
LHSH