[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Aloof is not always the same thing

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx>, "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 07:43:21 -0400

Totally agree Ken.  AND I am always interested in what a dog will do in a
REAL situation.  Take my Forest.  (American and Canadian CH Rotoba's Black
Forest Brownhill, TC, OVC.)  She was an ambassador of the breed.  She was
not aloof, but WAS friendly.  She was also very intelligent.  One day when I
was napping, she was out on the deck, stretched out.  An older couple came
by.  They told me that Forest sat up and just glared at them.  She did not
know if it was all right for them to be here.  They tooted their horn and I
came out.  They said she looked like she was "on duty" which she was.
Another time, she saved me from a purse snatcher by scaring the guy away
from our car:  she flew at the back seat window (he didn't see her as she
was lying down while I was in the passenger seat) snarling, barking, telling
him to get away.  Holy Smoke, she did this naturally!  Forest rarely barked.
She was NEVER trained to do this--she did it naturally.  Now there is good
and correct temperament, intelligence, soundness.  Boy I miss her.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever

The problem lies in that we really don't have a way to adequately test the
dogs. The temperament test we do in the ring is minimal at best and dogs
can easily be trained/conditioned to pass it.
We do offer the TC but it is not mandatory and still far from adequate,
IMHO. You can still train a dog to get through it.
Now, try to get a dog to run down the field and bite the bad guy who is
waving a stick at him is another story.
Ken