[ SHOWGSD-L ] Allergies

  • From: "Lee Smith" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 20:39:28 -0400

For everyone who has a dog that suffers from occassional to frequent loose
stool, has difficulty keeping weight on or always seems to have a dull coat,
the following may be a solution. Certainly not a guarenteed solution, but a
solution that is worth a try.

I have a male around 8-years-old, that has always had a problem with keeping
weight on. In his early years, he suffered with panno and it continued until
he was about three. During that period he has all the symptoms of panno,
refusing to eat, etc. He did get over it, but he still had the occassional
runs for no apparent reason and he always had a problem keeping a decent
weight, even though he had an excellent appetite. Consequently, he was a
very difficult dog to show and never finished.

Recently, I've been worried about his health and longevity. He has continued
to have bouts of loose stool, his coat looked dry and -- even while eating
like a pig -- he couldn't keep a pound on. Then, he started to lose weight
and I became very nervous about his future.

By the way, he is under the care of first rate vets and nothing ever showed
up in any tests -- and many tests were run. About four rmonths ago, he had
another bad case of the runs. He also had occassional bouts of throwing up.
His weight was way down and his coat was terrible. He seemed lethargic. We
changed food a couple of times and it wasn't the food. He was getting
seriously thin; he looked malnourished. I knew if he kept this up, he
wouldn't have too much longer.

After the last time, I put him on a very restricted diet -- cottage cheese,
baby rice or oat cereal -- just like any of my dogs. Then I added cooked
gound beef. Still no problem and he was eating twice a day. It was at this
point, I called the vet and said I wanted a stool test to see if there were
any parasites. $800.00 later (I live in Boca Raton) he was declared parasite
free and the vet suggested an intestinal biopsy.

I suggested an elimination diet, since he seemed OK on what he was eating
and I wanted to try that before we got into exploratory surgeries. I never
completed the elimination diet because I now have a diet that has changed my
dog's life. He no longer gets any grains -- corn, wheat or soy. He also
doesn't get chicken or lamb, which he always had a tough time with. When I
say no grains, I mean it. No pizza crusts, crackers, nothing at all that
contains corn, wheat or soy.

He immediately started to put on weight  and he ate like I have never seen
him eat -- four to five cups of kibble and two cans of dog food a day, plus
cookies at bedtime. He has gained over 25 pounds. His coat has never looked
better -- dark, glossy and full. His energy has returned and there has been
a change in his personality. While he is a real sweetheart, he was always a
softy -- the kind of dog you wonder if he will protect you. Since changing
his diet, I have never seen him more self confident and relaxed. In fact, I
have to say he has never looked better.

I think, in fact I am sure, I have a dog with a wheat allergy and possible
an allergy to corn, wheat and soy. I'm not sure if dogs can get celiac
disease, but I suspect it. He now gets grain free kibble and cookies. His
proteins include salmon, duck, venison and buffalo. The change in him has
been dramatic enough that I highly recommend at least trying a grain-free
diet if you have a dog that is not thriving. It is worth a try and I only
wish I had tried this earlier.