[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: All you can be

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:11:59 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/2010 5:07:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
WHY  DO  WE NEED MORE BOARD MEMBERS THAN FORTUNE 500   COMPANIES?????

I've held off commenting in regard to the number of Board members,but after
 much thought ,feel as Lee and others have stated we could do very well
with a 9  member Board . First we must have President,Vice
Pres,Treasurer,Recording  Secy,,and Corresponding  Secy as our officers,and
then 5 Directors.
The reason we have the number we do now is that we were considering the size
of  the USA and felt we needed that number to have wide spread
knowledge,and  opinions. I was lucky,as a few others were, to be invited to
join the
GSDCA by  Jane Bennett back when Burr Robins was President. They needed a
membership  chairman for the club,and I accepted and served  in that capacity
for
30  yrs,under  5 different Presidents. At that time,the Corr Secy and
Treasurer  were Permanent positions( Blanche and Gene) so continuity and
stability were the rule.  Sure we had our problems. Remember we got  our
National
canceled and  a new President ( Harry Schneider) installed by  the AKC. It
was a whole different ball game back then,because of the continuity  and the
whole dog game was different.The large number of Directors served us  well
for a number of years. And Lee was correct, When I  served as  President for 4
yrs,I continued as membership chairman also,and we had built up  to 6000
members at that time. Times change and I feel it is time to change with  it .A
nine  member Board would accommodate a 3000 membership  very well,and
certainly save money. I do feel the face to face meeting is  still
essential,,with conference call when necessary. We could put it on  the ballot
to change
the number if the members would want it.  JMO Helen  Miller Fisher