[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: All is fair when you double (was: doubling dogs done right)

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: jkerner@xxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:10:02 -0400

I am the worst double handler.  I always seem to be in the wrong place at the
wrong time.  Poor handlers, LOL!  But, you know you've been around GSD's too
long when:
Karena, a Junior handler was in the Juniors ring with my girl Maggie.  This was
an AB show.  I found myself doubling Maggie to get ears and animation.  Big Boo
Boo in the Juniors ring and an AB show.  Boy, did I get yelled at.  First from
the ring steward and then from Karena's Mom.  I thought I was being subtle,
LOL!  Karena and Maggie still placed but not with my help.

Hey, maybe there could be a class on "The Art of Double Handling" at the
Nationals. Folks like Carolyn and Ileana and some handlers could get together
and show us bumbling idiots the best way to double and what the handler's sign
language means.  Ok, some of it we can figure out ourselves, LOL!   Add in how
to get out of the way so you don't get knocked on your butt by other doublers.
That could be fun and educational at the same time.

Laura Thomas

    From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx

    This is a great topic.Doubling  is an art form, no doubt about that.

    You have to consider doubling in all conditions and for all
    situations..........when training, at all breeds, at specialties, at the
National, when you
    think the judge is watching, when the handler is mouthing
obscenities....in

    all kinds of weather, with and without umbrellas......yikes, I  am tired
just
    thinking about it.

    Equipment is necessary when doubling.....you have to wear something very
    loud, so your aging handler can find you, and you have to have at hand all
the
    essentials:   toys, bells, towels, cats, food, a kid here and there,  and
the
    best one ever, an ex husbands toupe.  Try that, and not laughing  your
heart

    out.

    Then you need a doubler for the original doubler, someone to translate what

    everyone else wants them to do.

    And..........you are not allowed to injure anyone while doubling. That, in
    and on itself,  is a challenge. There goes your opportunity to knock the
    lights out of someone you cant stand.

    Of course temperament is better in the breed, imagine all these dogs
dealing
    with this craziness and maintaining their sanity. We have found the cure
for
    bad temperament and were not even aware of it. Doubling!!!  Kudos to  all
the
    German Shepherd people!!!!

    Now Carolyn wants us to get special treat for the handlers.  Like we  don't

    have enough problems already.....Can you imagine????  Jerry and  Bill are
    going to want Starbucks, and then you have to hold the cup without
spilling
it
    while they run around with your dog ( can you hear the meter
    ticking.....$....$....$.....)  Greg wants Popeye and Cajun.....George wants

Italian.....where
    does it stop?????

    How about.....we teach the dogs to come all the way around, and we are at
    the exit when they come out to celebrate them for putting up with our
    foolishness?  I think a lot of dogs will be happier that way.  A happy  dog
always
    looks better.

    But then, what do we do for fun at ringside?  Watching doublers is a  true
joy.  <G>

    Ileana

PERMISSION
OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

MANNER
ALL

AOL at AOL.com.