[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: All Breed vs Specialty'

  • From: Kay Springer <showgsd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:50:44 -0700

There are good all breed judges that really understand the German
Shepherd Dog and there are very bad all breed judges who don't have a
clue.  And, there are some specialty GSD judges that  don't have a
clue.   I show at both all breeds and specialties but I pick my judges
in both venues and I think that is what an exhibitor needs to do.  I
keep records on all the judges I have shown under.  I list what they
put up and in my opinion what they like.  I use that information along
with the knowledge of my handler to decide if I show or not show.  If
I do not know the judge or have not shown under the judge, I will try
them once, maybe twice and then decide from that point on whether I
show or not.  Like others on the list, I feel a good GSD can win in
both rings.

With respect to all breed clubs, I have been fortunate  over the years
to build a relationship with officers of several all breed clubs and
now work with them to help build majors in GSDs at their shows. In
return, they pick knowledgeable GSD judges and give us a big ring.
The two local GSD clubs I belong to, do supported entries at these
shows.  We donate trophies for BOB, BOS & BOW.  In the past four
years, we have had majors at their shows.  The only drawback we
sometimes have is the AKC rep who seems to delight in coming to our
ring to stop double handling and the double handling at these shows
has been very subtle, but she does have eagle eyes! I would say the
great majority of the dogs that got majors at these supported entry
all breed shows are dogs that have wins and BOBs at specialty shows.

I would encourage all of you to try and work with your local all breed
clubs.  If you can help them increase their entries,  they are usually
willing to work with you on judge's selection and ring size.  Several
of us have also been successful in contacting the Superintendent for
the shows after we see that there is a large entry and ask them to
provide us with a large ring.  This is when we are not working
directly with the show giving club.   MBF has been very nice in giving
us large rings when we ask in advance.  It can be a win-win for
everyone plus showing good GSDs at all breeds helps educate other
judges that are there watching.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Multi BISS & Multi Group Winning
Ch. Rohan's Reward TC,CGC,HT,CD,RE,CHIC
"Strider" 72 BOBs - #5 & #6 GSD 2009