[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: All Breed VS. Specialty

  • From: John Ayotte <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:33:00 -0500

While I agree with Carolyn that the differences are mostly due to the
judges, I think that the ring size and footing plays a more important
role than she implies. A really good judge may be able to find the
best structured dogs in a small ring where the dogs cannot really get
into any sort of stride. Most judges, and most observers, need to see
the dog move where it has room to use itself to be sure that the
structure they see is really put together correctly to provide the
movement called for in the standard. When you can't truly see the
movement, you will be forced to judge the dogs on other virtues and
weight those other virtues disproportionately. You can't tell if a
GSD "...covers a great deal of ground, with long stride of both hind
legs and forelegs..." if there is no ground in the ring to cover :-)

On the other hand, there is no doubt that there are may all-breed
judges who do not know good GSD movement when they see it, and/or do
not place as much emphasis on it as the standard calls for.

Let's not even muddy the waters in this discussion with the many
exhibitors and judges who's opinion of what good movement is, or
who's interpretation of the standard is distorted... I'm not in the
mood for that holy war today :-)

John Ayotte
john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Frankenhaus German Shepherds