[ SHOWGSD-L ] Albuquerque HEART ordinance

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:30:00 -0400

-----Original Message-----

Permission to cross-post is granted.

Albuquerque HEART Ordinance
Posted by: "billgdt4f@xxxxxxx" billgdt4f@xxxxxxx
Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:42 pm (PST)

As Patte Klecan and I outlined at the caucus and the delegates
meeting in Newark, the Albuquerque City Council has passed what many
consider to be one of the most onerous and dangerous anti-breeding
laws ever to come along. Known as the HEART (Humane and Ethical
Animal Regulations and Treatment) ordinance, the law would limit the
number of intact dogs that a household may keep to four, impose an
annual $150 per dog intact companion animal fee, and abolish hobby
breeder permits that have been in effect for decades. That's just a
few of its most objectionable provisions.

The ordinance also trivializes animal cruelty to the extent that one
could easily face animal cruelty charges for many commonly accepted
practices, and it is written so poorly that in many cases it is
difficult to figure out just what it says. What's more, it has animal
rights fingerprints all over it. For anybody who wishes to read this
manifesto in its abominable entirety, it can be accessed at
http://daystar2.cabq.gov:81/Attachments/4333.doc.

The Rio Grande Kennel Club and members of the fancy worked tirelessly
to prevent this legislation from passing. We tried talking to the
sponsor (she wouldn't listen to us), we tried talking to the mayor
(he double-crossed us), and we finally took our case to the city
council. Despite a tremendous turnout and testimony running more than
2 to 1 against the ordinance, the political "fix" was in and the
ordinance passed on a 6 to 3 vote.

We are now seeking relief from the judiciary. The Rio Grande Kennel
Club and eight individual plaintiffs have filed suit against the City
of Albuquerque in New Mexico District Court, 2nd Judicial District.
We are currently awaiting a decision on our request for a preliminary
injunction (the hearing was held Monday), but whatever the judge's
decision on that, we have every intention of pursuing the matter to
trial.

There is strong evidence to indicate that Albuquerque was targeted
for this ordinance and that its proponents will consider success here
as their "foot in the door" for similar legislation elsewhere. A
victory in Albuquerque will only strengthen their position when they
push for similar legislation in other communities. That is why we are
asking for financial help in our fight against the ordinance, not
only for the benefit of fanciers in the Albuquerque area, but also
for the benefit of the fancy nationwide. If we can stop HEART here,
that will provide valuable precedent for future battles.

Donations can be sent to: RGKC Legal Fund; P.O. Box 25672;
Albuquerque, NM 87125-5672. Please make checks payable to Rio Grande
Kennel Club.

Permission to cross-post as widely as possible is given.

Bill Green, Delegate
Rio Grande KC

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
Proud member GSDCA and Sawnee Mtn Kennel Club
www.rihadin.com