[ SHOWGSD-L ] Aggression - dog whisperer

  • From: "DavidFritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:06:56 -0700

>I have seen the show many times (Dog Whisperer) and I must say It gives
> me a different aspect and outlook about temperament in dogs. I have a
> tendency to agree the problem is with the people and not the dogs. SNIP
. JMO only, so please don't hurt me. I
> hate pain. Yall have a great day.
> Louie

While in general I agree with Louie and all... That is the general rule, to
which there are exceptions.

Just as genetic surprises give us things we do not want physically, the
brain is also a physical organ and both personality and temperament do have
some genetic predisposition - at least that seems to make sense to me. Over
the past 50+ years I have had 2 dogs I could not train or control. Now I am
not the guy on TV, but I've done a bit of training in my day, and have been
called "The Dog Whisperer" by some of the folks in these parts before the TV
guy appeared. Now I am certainly not laying claim to his title nor comparing
myself to his wisdom and expertise, but I am simply laying a foundation for
saying - I almost agree with you all - ALMOST!

I just have experienced some exceptions that preclude my whole hearted AMEN!
And, come to think about it, back in the dark ages when I was playing COP on
the streets of Colton, there were some people who were exceptions also. I've
met some truly evil people who had normal siblings and good parents. And,
the 2 dogs I mentioned came from great stock. There was just something wrong
in the head.

Anyway, while I tend to agree with some of my educational background that
environment shapes the personality, I am tending, as I grow older, to
suspect that genetics is the groundwork for which environmental shaping is
necessary.

Just another perception,
Dave