[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Aggression - dog whisperer

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, ParavelGS@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 11:41:23 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/2006 10:27:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Pretty  amazing and it really does show that people are the problem....not
the  dogs.

You've hit the nail on the head Cindy.  It never ceases to amaze  me what
"our" dogs overcome and the silly notions people have that dogs have to  deal
with.  How many times, though usually well intentioned, do you see  people get
dog (or dogs) and treat them like little people, surrogate  children, or
surrogate human friends or companions?  While it's  wonderful for humans and
there
are medical studies that prove over and over the  health benefits for humans
to interact w/ pets, treating dogs other than dogs  and not understanding the
way that are hard wired can often sc--w up the  dog!  Then, too often IMO, you
have folks who misunderstand the role  of "pack leader", letting ego get
involved or perhaps worse, thinking they have  to man handle their way into the
role.  Wrong, wrong, wrong!

I've taken dogs that some would consider tough, and when they realize they
don't have to carry the burden of leading themselves, you can almost hear a
sigh  of relief that they can just relax and be a dog.  Different dog!  It's  a
pretty insecure/scary place for a dog to be when they think no one is in
charge!

Much of what Cesar does is common sense to me, but then again, I grew up in
a "doggy" family.  I've always evaluated a dog by stepping into their space
while not making eye contact.  If they move aside, easy...they don't want  to
be a tough guy/gal!  My family's first GSD, gosh, 40+ years ago was a  rescue
male that was on his last day at a shelter.  Everyone there was  afraid of him.
 Not only did mom and I take him but his first stop on  the way home, since
mom was car-pooling, was to pick up a bunch of school kids  who piled into the
back of mom's caddy w/ the dog, lunch pails, book bags and  all.  We knew he'd
be fine and he was.  His body language, his  reactions in the 20 minutes or
so we had with him before picking up the  half-dozen or so children were all
right on.  No mystery.  No nonsense  w/ who eats first, where he could sleep,
who goes out the door first or rolling  on the ground to prove who's boss
(!!!),
no man-handling (he was a full grown  male and we had a nylon slip collar for
goodness sakes, so defiantly no forcing  anything!), just good old fashioned
dog sense.

I've always found dogs (unlike people) to be 100% consistent. Do something
100 times, 1000 times the same way and you get the exactly the same
results/reaction. (The exception of course would be a dog suffering from an
illness.)
Our rescue was a great dog BTW!  Intimidating as all heck if  someone would let
him be; oh he could play the UPS man (!!!), but walk into his  space and if
he could have talked he'd have said "oh, ok, never mind  then".

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_