[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Again...hopefully last time....

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 23:11:57 -0700

I have never discussed anything about the masking gene or albinism or
anything  "wrong" with the white GSD when discussing the white shepherds
to "justify my thinking".

My point has always been that whites have never been a desired color in
the Breed.  It finally became a DQ to avoid it being a part of the Breed.
I have never argued about them being inferior nor having health issues
because of their white color.
When I bring up the other Breeds it is BECAUSE we recognize them by their
appearance and almost ALL Breeds always have pretty much specific color or
markings that is easily recognizable as that particular Breed...and most
Standards have colors that are not and have never been acceptable.  The
general Public knows that.
It "generally" starts with color and coats......

NONE of these colors have to do with the intelligence or working
capabilities
of ANY of the Breeds!  It has to do with Their STANDARD!
Pretty much the same can be said for a ring tail...it interferes with
neither...but is not desirable for this Breed!
The genetic reason for it is not the point.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

-----Original Message----F On Behalf Of Jen Proud
On 7 Aug 2013, at 16:55, "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Every Standard has some restrictions that are difficult to deal with
> for those not willing to abide by it...or love a dog with the fault.
> I'm sure there are some that want white Boxers, white Dobermans,
> white Collies, Corgis etc...

It seems those who still think white should be a DQ apparently also still
have the same old mis-information that messed things up in the first place
as their justification for their thinking. It just doesn't seem productive
to hold onto such old, flawed logic... Like putting on some custom blinders.

It is really no wonder to me in some ways why the whites/coats are where
they are so far as the breed ring:  ppl in our pen breed seem to actually
seriously believe that white in the GSD is a deleterious gene and the host
of other fallacies -- and are preaching them to the masses who take it
spoon-fed right to them- after all, we as stewards of this breed are, after
all, the experts about everything GSD, are we not?!?  LMAO from thinking
rhetorically...

THR EPISTATIC (not "masking"-- the Masking gene (E>superscript>m) is what
determines the amount of black covering the muzzle, face, and ears)  GENE IN
GSD IS CERTAINLY NOT CAUSED BY ALBINISM AS YOU INFER BY "WHITE DOBES".
THE WHITE IN GSDS IS DEFINITELY NOT CAUSED BY BEING DOUBLE MERLE, MEANING
THE REFERENCE TO COLLIES & CORGIS. GSDS DON'T COME IN MERLE ANYMORE.
EPISTATIC WHITE IS ALSO NOT CAUSED BY THE EXTREME WHITE SPOTTING SEEN BY
BREEDING 2 "FLASHY" BOXERS TOGETHER   AGAIN, THAT GENE DOESN'T EXIST IN THE
GSD; PLUS ALL OF THE BREEDS YOU'VE LISTED WHERE IN ITS WHITE CONDITION,THE
PIGMENT IS ALSO AFFECTED.  THE EPISTATIC WHITE GENE IN THE GSD HAS NO AFFECT
ON PIGMENT. ACTUALLY,  IT IS BELIEVED THAT THE GENE THAT CAUSES THE
"CLEAR".WHITE COAT IN A GSD IS THE SAME GENE THAT MAKES A YELLOW LABRADOR
RETRIEVER YELLOW; WHAT MAKES A GOLDEN RETRIEVER  GOLDEN...  IF THE WHITE
GENE IS AS DELETERIOUS AS YOU WOULD HAVE PEOPLE BELIEVE, MANY BREEDS WOULD
ALREADY HAVE BEEN WIPED OUT; ERADICATED BY NATURE.
> WITH THE VERY SAME ARGUMENTS.
AS 60 YEARS AGO. THE ARGUMENTS AS TO WHAT'S "WRONG" WITH THE WHITE COAT HAVE
BEEN PROVEN WRONG BY SCIENCE AND THE GROWTH OF GENETIC KNOWLEDGE.
it seems to me that the people who want the white coats fully included are
the ones most worried about keeping a broad gene pool as possible, and
having the opportunity to breed with a new type/ blood while still remaining
within the breed is invaluable, as another discussion recently has it...
But maybe all that's just my observation...

JP&P