[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Again I fail to make my point

  • From: PlushPuppyOhio <plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:17:11 -0700 (PDT)

Again, just a play on words.  When you "breed to the standard" (IS) of course
there is a lot involved.  But ultimately, you are breeding to achieve what the
standard says our dogs should be.  How you acheive that is not set in stone.

HOWEVER, according to what you say... if you breed a straight angle dog to an
extreme angle, you get one or the other not in between.   So if I breed to a
dog that is exactly the standard I will get some that are exactly the standard,
and some that are not, nothing in between?

No.  The truth is, statistically, if the breeding were to be repeated and
hundreds of dogs were to be produced, some would be extreme, some straight,
some 80% extreme, some 50%... etc.

You are correct in saying that if my original statement "breeding to the
standard" was to be interpreted in literal terms, meaning I breed to a dog that
BEST represents the standard, I probably will not get what I want.   So I guess
I need to say I breed to ACHIEVE the standard.

Regardless, the Illustrated Standard is a tool for people to understand what
our dogs should be, and what we should be striving to produce.  THAT was my
entire original purpose for my first statement.   So I stand by my thoughts,
that having an IS that is a forte for what we should be producing, is only a
plus in my find for helping people understand our breed.
Just my thoughts.  I've been told I'm wrong on several accounts because I
haven't been in this breed as long as others.  HOWEVER, I DID PAY MY DUES this
past year, so I guess that gives me vocal rights!  Ha ha!!!!

All in good fun!
Sean

ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/25/2005 1:15:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx writes:
In order to breed correct animals, you HAVE to understand the Standard.

That is correct.

My point was that the Illustrated Standard is to show what the correct
conformation is. To breed you need much more than knowing what a dog should
look
like, or how it should move. You need to understand that an extreme dog bred
to a bitch with no angles will not produce something in the middle. You can
combine blue and yellow to make green. But if you breed an extreme dog to a
straight angled dog you will get extreme and straight angles, not something in
the middle.

Breeding based on just what you see is doomed to failure. Genotype and
Phenotype are very important, and if you only think phenotype will work, you
will
fail in your breeding programs.

All an illustrated standard will do is how you what you should look for, not
what the dog will produce.

Evan
_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come together

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

http://mail.yahoo.com