[ SHOWGSD-L ] Again I fail to make my point

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:43:46 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2005 1:15:36 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
plushpuppyohio@xxxxxxxxx writes:
In  order to breed correct animals, you HAVE to understand the  Standard.

That is correct.

My point was that the Illustrated Standard is to show what the correct
conformation is.  To breed you need much more than knowing what a dog  should
look
like, or how it should move. You need to understand that an extreme  dog bred
to a bitch with no angles will not produce something in the middle. You  can
combine blue and yellow to make green. But if you breed an extreme dog to a
straight angled dog you will get extreme and straight angles, not something in
the middle.

Breeding based on just what you see is doomed to failure.  Genotype  and
Phenotype are very important, and if you only think phenotype will work, you
will
fail in your breeding programs.

All an illustrated standard will do is how you what you should look for,  not
what the dog will produce.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together