[ SHOWGSD-L ] Advertising dollars spent well

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:04:24 -0400

A while back I wrote an article called "Marketing and Advertising."  I
sent it to the List.  It also appeared on the GSD by Design last month
in their featured article section.  I received some favorable private
e-mails about it.  Someone in the last couple of days wrote about one of
the things that I addressed in this article, and that was about using
the dog's pedigree when you advertise.  I can not for the life of me
understand when someone is paying for an ad why they don't use their
dogs pedigree, especially when it pertains to a stud dog.  As I said
before, unless you have a dog that is so well known like Lance of
Fran-Jo, very few people know your dogs lineage.  Even if he's this or
last year's GV, I still need to see his pedigree.  Titles does not a
producer make!  There are many students of the breed who know pedigrees
of the sire, but unless the dam is very well known, do not have the same
knowledge about her.  The new people to the breed will be totally lost
to your dogs background.  Then advertisers wonder why they're not
getting the most "bang for their buck" when they are looking for people
to breed to their stud dog?  This is not advertising dollars spent
well.  I don't want to look at a picture of a dog winning at a show
thanking the judges, thanking their handlers, thanking ringside for
their support, and yada, yada, yada.  That stuff is important, but not
nearly as important as your dogs pedigree.  I can't tell you how many
times someone will come across one of the Lists and show a picture of
their stud dog.  Wow, I think he's drop dead gorgeous, but where the
heck his is pedigree?  Then I e-mail the owner and ask them to send a
pedigree of their dog.  Most of the time they do.  Now how come you
didn't do that in the first place?  Geez!  You want stud
services?????...............then advertise his pedigree.  I don't want
to spend the time looking up a dog's pedigree on the internet.  I read
the GSD Review, The GSD Quarterly, GSD by Design because I want to see
WHAT BLOODLINES ARE PRODUCING AND WINNING!!!!  I'm looking to your ad
for that.  Advertising is expensive................let it pay for you to
do so!  Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS