[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Adoptions at Petco

  • From: "Maureen" <murk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <InquestGSD@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:18:18 -0500

Ileana,
  I have never been in a Petco store, and I should have never included them in
reality. I have, however, shopped almost weekly in a PETSMART, and for YEARS
helped with adoptions there. I NEVER  said you were OBLIGATED to buy the pets
stuff there. I have helped with many adoptions at the Mall here also, people
don 't go in the Mall to buy the supplies. To my knowledge there isn't any
adoption booklet given when I have helped, nor are all the stores as active as
the one you use. Sure don't have a problem with them making a buck
either...........Mo

  You get a new dog, you are going to need stuff for that dog, especially if
this is your family's first dog. But you are not obligated to buy stuff at
Petco or Petsmart when you adopt a dog or cat at either location.
  I know (having worked a few adoption days there) that Petco gives every new
adoptive family, gives as in FREE, an adoption booklet that contains over $200
worth in coupons and discount, so that they can save money on purchases.  And a
list of items their new pet may need.  They also donate money to local rescue
groups every year, and any rescue organization that is registered non-profit
with the IRS can apply for assistance with the Petco Foundation. They also hold
Low Cost vaccination clinics either weekly or monthly (here is weekly).  Are
they still going to make a buck?  Sure, but they also help A LOT!  And they
don't take any money from the adoptions, neither Petco nor Petsmart.  That
money stays with the rescue groups.  They only request that the animals at the
adoption clinics are up to date on vaccines and have good temperaments, and
volunteers are over 18. Fair.

  Ileana

  Sandy,
        Don't think for a second that Petco and Petsmart that allows these
  adopt-a-thons aren't raking in the money! The people that adopt these
  animals are buying a TON of supplies and goodies for the new baby, and are
  virtually a captive audience.  They are raking the bucks in and the public
  "sees" it as a goodwill endevor. Mo