[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Adoptions at Petco

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, murk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:13:12 EDT

ileana is right.  when i was in southern illinois, one of the local  vets
agreed to hold a rescue fair and silent auction.  about 25 different  breeds
(rescues) participated.  extreme southern illinois is basically  an
economically depressed agricultural area.  we wanted to have  t-shirts made
that
people could buy and i went to the petco foundation for  help as all of us in
rescue were struggling for every dollar and foster  home.  the application
process was very user friendly and we received a  check very quickly, enough
to have 400 t-shirts made.  i am NOT telling  anyone to support petco or
their practices but, with their help on that day,  many rescues, including
GSDs,
were helped.
siane

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com

In a message dated 9/7/2009 6:03:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
InquestGSD@xxxxxxx writes:

You get  a new dog, you are going to need stuff for that dog, especially if

this is your family's first dog. But you are not obligated to buy stuff at
Petco  or Petsmart when you adopt a dog or cat at either  location.
I know (having worked a few adoption days there) that Petco gives  every
new
adoptive family, gives as in FREE, an adoption booklet that  contains over
$200  worth in coupons and discount, so that they can  save money on
purchases.   And a list of items their new pet may  need.  They also donate
money to
local rescue groups every  year, and any rescue organization that is
registered  non-profit with  the IRS can apply for assistance with the
Petco
Foundation.  They  also hold Low Cost vaccination clinics either weekly or
monthly
(here  is  weekly).  Are they still going to make a buck?  Sure, but  they
also
help A LOT!  And they don't take any money from the  adoptions, neither
Petco nor Petsmart.  That money stays with  the rescue groups.   They only
request that the animals at the  adoption clinics are up to date on
vaccines and
have good  temperaments, and volunteers are over 18.  Fair.

Ileana

Sandy,
Don't think for a second that  Petco  and Petsmart that allows these
adopt-a-thons aren't raking in  the money! The  people that adopt these
animals are buying a TON of  supplies and goodies for  the new baby, and
are
virtually a captive  audience.  They are raking  the bucks in and the
public
"sees"  it as a goodwill endevor.  Mo

> Our local Petco allows the  local shelter to bring dogs  & cats to the
> store for a couple  hours on Saturdays.    They try to find homes for
> (only)  rescues & Petco does not get any  money from this  endevor.
>
>  Sandy

original  author and of GSD Communicat_ion, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS
of
any kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND
of the  Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org

_ (http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com/)
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)