[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Adobe/Editing

  • From: "The Crystal Crow" <thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:19:06 -0500

Adobe's free reader is great, UNLESS you need to edit further. With the
necessity to have minutes approved by vote, there may be as many edits as
each Board Member would wish. One way to avoid this is to implement the
proper technology, to be used by the recording secretary.
Here are a couple of links if anyone is interested:

How to record Audio and different items you can record with:
http://sophia.smith.edu/~jdrisko/recording_audio.htm

Transcription, Cost Comparisons, Software:
http://sophia.smith.edu/~jdrisko/transcription.htm

When I am responsible for the minutes of a meeting that I am or am
not the chair of, I record with a digital recorder as well as taking notes,
so I always have something to go back to if I didn't capture it correctly by
hand (or if I need to review a point, discussion or idea). Where I'm lucky
here is in that only one person has to approve the minutes-the meeting
organizer/chair.

In other meetings, people I work with have used digital recorders with
external microphones later coupled with the Dragon voice recognition
software. The software, although far from perfect, will give you good
results-VERBATIM-which results in less editing. This I have seen
successfully used in meetings where the minutes had to be approved by each
attendee.

When I was on the Board of a local fraternal organization, there were many
Board members that had to approve the minutes. There we used a tape deck, a
recording secretary as a transcriptionist and email. The recording secretary
would type up the minutes in MS Word (which has great editing features that
will highlight things and tell you which user wants to make what
change, plus give you the choice to accept or not), within 24 hours and
email out to the rest of the Board. The Board was required to revise and
report back with changes within 48 hours, and then the recording secretary
would pull together the final draft within 48 hours after that. Five days
after the meeting we would have a final draft. This draft would then be
approved in the meeting, but could have been approved via email as well.

Good luck,

Kristal

--
The Crystal Crow