[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Activyl Flea Treatment

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 19:49:27 -0500

While I haven't used it (frontline still works in the north, and Nexgard is
my second choice- we have ticks galore!), Activyl contains a new chemical:
indoxacarb

That it is new to the market, fleas (BOTH kinds for y'all southerners!)
should NOT be resistant to it. It only kills fleas, and is also safe for
use on cats as well.
It does not contain a flea egg inhibitor (and remember, the fleas you see
are only 5% of the population ... Yuck!). For managing the larvae (flea
maggots icky) and eggs, lufeneuron is still the bomb. S-methoprene has also
lost an amount of efficacy.

For your yard: spinosad (the active ingredient in Comfortis- available as
a apart for the yard) is very effective at managing those little critters,
as well as many other insect species... Including honeybees! Once learning
that, no more in my yard. :( however, it is very safe for mammals. :)
I went back to using Sevin granules and found the residual activity worked
for a couple of months; even in far southern Georgia. Carbaryl also kills
bees, but is a bit safer to other life, and is washed into the dirt quicker
than spinosad. Interestingly enough, Carbaryl is in people lice shampoo,
and illegal in the UK and some EU countries due to the danger of its
manufacture.
That said, None of the yard stuff is very nice on the environment!
When I was waging the flea war, I treated my animals with a product and
bombed my house inside and now leave the yard alone.
If you have a tick problem where you live, Nexgard is your best bet! It's
a chewable (made by Merial- the people who brought us heartgard) and very
safe. I have one of my dogs trying it out for the summer and have noticed
no difference between it and frontline. But then, again, we don't have
those nasty little fleas here in WI (thank G-D) and it seems to be just as
good at getting the ticks... Plus, dog can swim the day of dosing, unlike
frontline! Yay
STAY AWAY FROM BRAVECTO! While it DOES last 12 whole weeks, and on fleas +
ticks, there have been enough adverse side effects in dogs that our rep
doesn't even try to push it on us to buy! Though, in the southwest part of
the state, it is quite popular, as one dose carries one through the summer
months- only give 4 times a year! And, of course, owner compliance isn't
so good when it's not given every month...

Good luck!

Jen P & her Pack flea and tick free yay!
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015, cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <
cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Has anyone used Activyl? Our feral cats brought fleas into the yard and
we must treat the dogs now. It's been a long time since we had fleas and
I'm not sure what to use on the dogs. I heard that Fipronil (Frontline) no
longer works.

Thanks in advance.

--
Paulette McGuirt
Wellborn-Allemande Shepherds

POST is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the
of any kind are permitted without prior permission of both the original
author AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group
and its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions
expressed in any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

Committed to the Total Dog You can be Proud of!!!
<http://www.jaydeesphs.com> <http://www.jaydeesphs.com>
JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Consulting
<http://www.jaydeesphs.com>
Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs...
<http://www.gsyrfund.com/>
Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
<http://www.gsyrfund.com>
<http://www.gsyrfund.com>For ALL your website custom design, hosting, &
maintenance needs; PLUS Print-Ready Adverts, Pedigrees, and all else you
can think of in web and print JKKP Publishing Company - the very best in
custom designs just for you! <jkkppublishing@xxxxxxxxx>