[ SHOWGSD-L ] Action needed in Louisville KY

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 10:28:27 -0400

-----Original Message-----
Everyone, it is time to e-mail the Louisville Metro Council again.

We need to oppose the animal control ordinance which has been tossed around
by the task force. BSL is back in, this time in the form of mandatory
spay/neuter. Other unconstitutional requirements are also back in: the crazy
nuisance provisions that violate state law as well as the constitution;
animal dealer license for every person that wants to sell a pet (even owners
who are rehoming); overly burdensome requirements for keeping dogs (150
square feet of outdoor kennel run per dog). These requirements will end pet
ownership in Louisville if they go through. This is the work of the KYHS,
HSUS, Rusty Gailor (vet) and Meloche.

Speaking of Meloche, conditions at MAS have deteriorated into animal neglect
and abuse. Last night, the LKC met with 3 employees of LMAS and I was
invited to that meeting. According to the staff, dogs are killing each
other, going without food, not isolated or treated for injuries/illness,
being left in wet or filthy runs. Dogs that have finished their quarantine
time for biting are being maintained instead of being returned to the owner
or put down. Kennel staff are being endangered, as they must work alone
around dangerous dogs, inside the pens because there is no place to secure
these dogs while their runs are cleaned. While we don't want to see a high
kill shelter, neither do we want to see humane euthanasia ruled out as an
option while animals are left to die on their own. Vicious animals need to
be put down--not held indefinitely.  I will pass around copies of e-mails
that went from two former kennel staff members to Meloche, and his answers
to them this evening. What we are seeing is hoarding behavior and failure to
manage the kennel population. Staffing has fallen to bare minimum because
conditions are so bad. With a new facility and no new staff, this situation
can only worsen. We need competent management of resources, along with
public education and outreach to increase adoptions.

E-mails are below:

Leonard Watkins -- leonard.watkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Barbara Shanklin -- barbara.shanklin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mary Woolridge --  mary.woolridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
David Tandy -- david.tandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cheri Bryant Hamilton -- cheri.hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
George Unseld -- george.unseld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ken Fleming -- ken.fleming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tom Owen -- tom.owen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tina Ward-Pugh -- tina.ward-pugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jim King -- jim.king@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kevin Kramer -- kevin.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rick Blackwell -- rick.blackwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vicki Welch -- vicki.welch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bob Henderson -- bob.henderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
George Melton -- george.melton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kelly Downard -- kelly.downard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Glen Stuckel -- glen.stuckel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Julie Raque Adams -- julie.adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hal Heiner -- hal.heiner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stuart Benson -- stuart.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dan Johnson -- dan.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Robin Engel -- robin.engel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
James Peden -- james.peden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Madonna Flood -- madonna.flood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Doug Hawkins -- doug.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ellen Call -- ellen.call@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks!
Karen
--

Judy Schreiber

BTCA Legislative Liaison Chair, VP BSLWorkshop, SC ARC Liaison, PHI MAR Tech

www.BSLWorkshop.com / www.chevalierbullterriers.com

www.rott-n-chatter.com/rottweilers/laws/breedspecific.html

www.companionanimalrecoveryenterprise.com

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
"A lie gets halfway around the world before
the truth has a chance to put its pants on."
~ Winston Churchill
www.rihadin.com