[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AVG antivirus

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: wynsum@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:15:07 EST

I've been using Avast for a couple of years now on my notebook pc.   AVG and
Avast were pretty comparable in every review I've read, but Avast was  more
automated. I considered trying each, but Avast has been so stress free I've
just stayed with it.  I do have Norton on my desktop - mostly because  my
son uses it for his online classes (and browsing!), and I wanted the  heavier
duty virus protection on that one.  Avast is free for home users,  never slows
my PC down, updates virus files daily whenever I log onto the internet,  and
prompts me when there is a new version - then installs it in the  background.
It does alert me when  HP tries to remotely check my PC to see if I  need
updates, and won't let AOL load update in the background, but I don't
really mind that <G>.

Janice Buchanan

In a message dated 11/28/2006 9:20:16 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
wynsum@xxxxxxx writes:
I went  to the avast website and could no notice that they are charging.  In
fact, it says STILL
FREE FOR HOME USE

It requires a yearly renewal  - re-entry of your key

I used to use  Mcaffee on Windows 95.  But it constantly crashed my 98
machine

Norton was good until 3 years ago, and it started to crash  things.

Avast allows me to set up all my different email programs, and  also does
anti virus on all the
Instant messenger programs that the kids  use

It protects against trojans as well as viruses, does a quick daily  update.
I rarely do my entire
machine - I just let it run at night  when I am sleeping because it does a
really deep, long scan.

I hated  the long weekly downloads on Norton.

Doc Zoe
Wynsum  http://wynsumgsd.com

Janice  Buchanan
Wasatch-Gold German Shepherds
_http://wasatchgold.brinkster.net/_ (http://wasatchgold.brinkster.net/)

"If  our dogs were smarter, they could tell us what they were
thinking. If we  were smarter, they wouldn't need to."