[ SHOWGSD-L ] AURORA DOGGED BY BREED BAN

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:02:04 -0400

Sick.. just sick.  You couldn't pay me enough money to live there.

Ginger Cleary
He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from
opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach himself.  ~Thomas Paine
My Ebay site
<http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=ginny2003>
Rome, GA http://www.rihadin.com/

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4605664,0
0.html

Aurora dogged by breed ban
Euthanasia cases spike; numbers leave foes furious
STORY TOOLS
Email this story | Print

RELATED LINKS
  a.. Forum: Pit bull ban
By Javier Erik Olvera, Rocky Mountain News
April 8, 2006
Aurora is euthanizing more than three pit bulls and other restricted breeds
each day under a ban that began Feb. 1.
Through March 22, 166 dogs had been euthanized.

Meanwhile, animal-control officers are backlogged, with more than 300
reports that stem from the ban on a total of 10 different breeds, including
pit bulls.

"We gave people options, we gave people choices," said Councilwoman Molly
Markert, adding that breed owners had several months to meet the
registration deadline.

She said the dogs that are being confiscated and euthanized are
overwhelmingly those whose owners opted not to register them with the city
for $200.

"Nobody wants to see (the dogs) confiscated and put to sleep," said Markert,
who helped develop the city's ordinance. "But why didn't the owners take
care of them (by getting them registered)?"

Those who fought the ban - including a state lawmaker, a national
organization and residents - are outraged at the number of dogs being
euthanized.

"I am sickened by what Aurora is doing," said Rep. Debbie Stafford,
R-Aurora, who fought breed bans at the state level for three years and plans
to ask the attorney general to intervene.

She has collected data that she says show pit bulls and the other restricted
breeds are no more dangerous than other dogs.

Stafford wants the state's attorney general to sue cities.

"I believe Aurora leaders have violated the constitutional right of their
citizens," Stafford said.

Aurora began exploring its ordinance when Denver reinstated its pit-bull ban
a year ago, after a lengthy court battle with the state over its ordinance.

Aurora leaders feared that pit-bull owners in Denver would move their pets
to Aurora.

Dogs licensed with the city before Jan. 31 are allowed to stay in the city.

Commerce City passed an ordinance, which went into effect Nov. 1, that is
limited to the three most common pit-bull breeds.

Other cities, including Lakewood and Parker, considered a ban on pit bulls
but opted to strengthen their existing vicious- and dangerous-dog ordinances