[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AOL

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 02:01:36 EST

In a message dated 2/25/2006 11:00:08 PM Central Standard Time, DaniaKarloff
writes:
Never fear, fellows.......   Showgsd-List already has an Administrator who
signs on as GSDMAN2@xxxxxxx   <Heeheheheheheee>
-------------------------------
If AOL's spam filters are causing problems for any AOL lister, they can
easily be turned off.  Open your mailbox, Just below the "Report Spam" button,
click on the words "Spam Controls."  When that box opens, click "off" and then
click "Save."

The spam controls, when in use, filters email several different ways.  It
looks at the address sent from and it looks for certain words and phrases.  It
also apparently looks at the email's content somehow.  For the average AOL
member, it's probably a pretty good system for filtering spam.  For a lister
though, receiving hundreds and hundreds of emails, the spam filters might cause
some
problems ... sending some list mail directly to the spam folder.  I chose to
turn mine off a long time ago, and perhaps that's why I notice very few
problems?

Another more serious problem is that "Report Spam" button easily found on
every incoming email and on your AOL email box.  I don't know the actual
formula,
but I do know that pushing that Report Spam button on a list email, or on the
mailbox while a list email is highlighted, will quickly cause AOL to block
the list address from all AOL members.  Unless you are absolutely certain that
you are NOT reporting list mail to AOL as spam ... don't push that button!

AOL is the largest Internet provider.  A majority of our listers are AOL
members.  Merely because of that, we should expect more problems through AOL.
It
is probably important to note too,  that AOL is the most user friendly of all
ISPs.  Because of that, one should expect more user error because AOL
naturally draws folks that are new to, or less trained in using the Net. I
can't help
but notice that most of the complaints I see about AOL comes from non AOL
members.  I see the same thing from Netscape users who hate Microsoft's browser
and it usually leaves me scratching my head.  One thing is for sure... AOL
isn't
going away no matter how many times people complain about it.

Tom Langlitz