[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AOE

  • From: "R. Steiner" <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:04:02 -0400

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Doris E<irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When the AOE program began, the idea was to have a title at both ends of
> the dogs name. Originally it was an Obedience title, but it has now
> expanded considerably.
> I can see a Herding title and a working title, but I think Rally should
> not be a qualifier for the AOE designation. Herding and working are
> functions of the Shepherd.  Rally, fly ball, etc. should not qualify a
> dog, in my opinion.     Doris E, ROM sires chair.

Having done Rally and Flyball, I'd have to agree.  it's pretty easy to
get basic titles in either! If your dog will stay with you on leash,
and sit and down even if it takes multiple commands with hand signals,
you can get a novice rally title.

But I sure wish the higher flyball titles could count towards a PAM, I
have a dog with UDX TD BH and she's one of the few GSD Flyball Grand
Champions (over 33,000 points)....but no PAM, sigh.  It's not easy
finding herding in central NJ and now that she's 11 I'm not sure I
want her doing that anyway.

--Regina
2 GSDs and one permanently visiting papillon