[ SHOWGSD-L ] AOE

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:21:15 +0000 (UTC)

Having done Rally since its inception I enjoy it greatly.  It is a place to
relax and enjoy your dog wiht no pressure.  It is also definitely a precursor
to obedience.  At each level regular obedience exercises are broken down to
their most basic finction and those are the exercises at each level.  By the
time a dog gets to Excellent they are doing a walking stand, jumps, heeling
backwards [!!]  all off lead.  However, at an Excellent level the dog is just
about ready for novice, nothing more.  Personally, I think the Rally Excellent
should count as a CD.

Ch Cookie earned her Rally Novice title and never learned to heel!!  She also
had her HT PT and was ready for started when she was diagnosed with
hermangiosarcoma.... but she NEVER would stay in heel position.  She did,
however, learn to swing finish left to the command 'get back.'  We ran the
entire course with me almost running to keep up and constantly telling her to
'get back.'  She would swing finish as I moved forward into the next
exercise.  By day three of a three day event my 'friends' at ringside cheering
me on had affectionately nicknamed her "the Git Back dog"!!   I HAD to
laugh.  The Sunday judge was also our Friday judge and laughed after we
finished since my hecklers (umm I mean friends) were having such a good time at
ringside. She proudly carried that nickname among my friends until the day I
lost her....... and as long as it came with a cookie she didn't mind one bit!!

Rally Novice is nowhere near the level of training it takes to get a title in
any other performance or companion event.  As I said feore and it is just one
opinion from someone who has been there numerous times..... MAYBE Excellent
should count as a CD but not Rally Novice.

Suzanne Kinman