[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC/CAR Please Read LONG

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:44:05 EDT

(Forwarded by permission -- author's name at end)
> It is with  great sadness and despair that I make this post. I apologize
for using this  list for rescue. For the past week I have worked to no avail to
help  recover some of our breed from the clutches of the Lamar-Dixson rescue
facility in Gonzales, LA. Today we are told they are no longer there. At  this
point we don't know where they have been sent. It is possible they  have been
claimed by their families. More probable is the reality they have been  moved
to other shelters. Wether they are private, kill, or no-kill shelters  we
don't know. We have no way of finding out. We know there have been five  we
have
lost track of. There was one reunification that was facilitated by  a
volunteer. For that we
> are most grateful.

> The bottom  line is Parent Club Rescue programs are being turned away from
the HSUS run  relief operations in Gonzales. Don't get me wrong. The under
taking there  is of a magnitude that I can't even begin to describe. It is
truly
the  Super Dome of the dog world right now. I will say that conditions are
significantly better now than they were four days ago. There are many  working
countless hours without much sleep but there are more running  around wanting
only to be seen. In other words the bright blue shirts with  the boldly
imprinted yellow letters of the HSUS were not covered in feces  or sweat. There
are
way to many chiefs and not enough Indians present. It's  easy to condemn the
efforts of some
> but I don't want that to be the case  here. They are there and they are
working in what ever capacity that FEMA  and the USDA has requested.

> My issue comes with what we the  member clubs of AKC are doing to protect
our own. Tough words one would  think. Fighting words for those of the HSUS
that are there. I don't think I  have been living under a rock. I take the
phrase
of "The Preservation of  Purebred Dogs" very seriously. Members of our
national rescue have been  repeatedly turned away by HSUS workers with harsh
words.
"There are more  dogs here to be helped than just your breed", "You people are
partly to  blame for this mess", and
> "We don't want you here" are just a few of the  comments that were directed
at us. All the while we have been trying to  find out how we can retrieve
brachycephalic dogs from the heat and chaotic  environment of Lamar-Dixson.

> One would think that among  the many tents displaying the logos and banners
of state and regional  rescue groups, HSUS, ASPCA and PETA you would find an
AKC tent or  table.  AKC DOES have a good man making the rounds of the
shelters.  There is still not a visible AKC presence to be seen. Our calls to
AKC
have  been received with conciliatory mannerisms consistent with a well trained

public relations approach. But have left us feeling even more helpless.  AKC's
explanation of simply being a facilitator doesn't seem to work for me  right
now. Nor the fact that they claim their hands are tied. They may very  well
be. All I ask is that you don't tell me how wonderful things are right  now
according to a report you have received or what has been done. If you  haven't
been
> there personally or experienced it first hand then let's  just leave it at
that.

> My questions are why do we have to  settle in this situation? Why can't we
rock the boat just enough to get our  dogs out? Why have you sent out press
releases spinning the situation  toward what has been given rather than address
the needs of the breeds that  are trapped at the facility? Why hasn't someone
attempted to contact the  Parent Clubs and started a formal request for
volunteers to help there? The  random emails stating they are in need of
volunteers
may make us feel good  but that is all it is doing. Can you the AKC help us
find what shelters our  breed dogs have
> been sent to? Why has the AKC missed an opportunity to  show publicly that
we care? Or at minimum be proud enough to display our  colors. Seemingly
simple questions although pointed and revolving around  a tragic situation.
Our
clubs did and are responding to the September  9th request from AKC for help
with funding. I do care about all the  dogs, cats, horses, and various other
pets
that are housed at this  facility. We as a club did donate funds to AKC/CAR
for these purposes. It  almost makes to much sense to get what we can out of
there to make room  for
> those who are still coming in. In a report on CNN today they claim  there
is no more room at the shelters.  I understand we are dealing  with HSUS and a
large problem however can't we find a way at the top to  help our own? Why
can't we help the tens of Goldens, the barn full  of Rotties(Rottie rescue is
present but they have been limited as to  what they can  do), the Boxer bitch
ready to whelp, the old Pointer  that is struggling in the heat, the Chesie,
the
Danes, and the  countless other pure bred dogs that are there? I understand
the Dobies are  getting out. If someone is on this list and knows how I would
love to hear  from them.

> I have no grandiose ideas that the AKC can or would  be a knight in shining
armor or the keeper of all dogs. Any effort at all  should be rewarded and
they have and are making efforts. But I can't help  but ask is the effort
enough? Our rescue groups are now having to search  the many pictures posted to
the
various web sites containing the dogs  that have been moved on to the various
shelters in hopes of finding the  ones that are now out of the facility. Maybe
this is the way we are  supposed to find them.

> The latest report from the Chairmen  of the Board contained the following
statement:

> "Through  the AKC/CAR Canine Support and Relief Fund we continue to assist
those who  reach out to us for help no matter how large or small the request."
Well,  we are requesting. We are reaching out. We do need your help.

> I want every one to know this issue is about the dogs. I don't intend  to
make it more than that. I don't want to make this a "whose fault is  it"
situation. If you share in our breeds concerns with any of these  issues or
your
club has an opinion. I would ask that you go on record by  asking your
questions
or voicing that opinion to AKC. If this is a  hopeless battle then maybe we
could at minimum be more prepared for the  future. Here is how. Send an email
one or both of the following.

> Dennis Sprung
> DBS@xxxxxxx
>
> Lainie  Cantrell
> LWC@xxxxxxx
>
> Yours in dogs
>
>  Mark Essary
> Vice President
> American Bullmastiff  Association
>
> PERMISSION TO CROSS POST

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
"Those who desire to give up freedom in  order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."  Benjamin Franklin.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)