[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC problem

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:09:19 -0800 (PST)

The status quo is why our dogs are dying at such young ages.  The status quo is
why we cannot get decent sized shows without making embarassing phone calls and
emails.  The status quo is a mess.  But the possible fixes leave bad tastes in
the mouths of many.

  I don't like UKC, but they have a point, allowing breeds to be mixed
peridocally.  You can't show the mixes, but you can register them and breed
them and make a better dog by bringing fresh blood.

  Most breeds go back to only a few dogs, for one reason or another.  Near
extection is the most common.  But GSD's do not have that problem they are too
new a breed.  But all our dogs go back to the same 4 dogs from Cap't V
Stephonitz (sp).  Even 'outcrossing' is a relative thing.

  We have dogs being bred after they have been tacked from bloating, we have
dogs who never have normal heats being bred multiple times.  We have dogs
dropping dead at very young ages all the time.

  We try not to talk about it because it hurts our chances of winning.

  This is the USA, and we can choose for ourselves.  But that allows for bad
choices as well as good ones.  In Germany there is no such freedom.  The kennel
club tells breeders who to breed and sometimes who to breed to.  That has not
helped either.

  Honesty is needed, and AKC needs to re-analize what pure bred should mean.

  Just my opinion! Sheila
Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  If you did not read this long article forwarded to our list, I suggest you
do, and I am not taking every thing said to be the Gospel truth, most writers
have an agenda, or at least I do...the writer suggested that the AKC may be in
bed with the very same folks dog breeders are fighting against....is the AKC
our alley and friend against BSL and other regulations that effect dog fanciers
and breeders or is it an organization just concerned with increasing its
revenue at our expense....just look at whats happening to us....clubs are
struggling to have 3 point majors...but many want to continue doing things just
as we always have......I am a trouble maker... I question the status quo...many
of my views on life topics in general and the sport of dogs in specific are not
the views of the majority...its just the way my brain is wired....look out
NYC..I'm on my way...Ed
POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training