[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC and mixed breed digs

  • From: Diane Brantley <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 18:47:37 -0700 (PDT)

I don't mean to be cynical, but the AKC is preparing itself for the time when
the breeders of pure bred dogs will be legislated out of existence and the only
dogs left will be mixed breeds available for adoption at the local pound, if
mandatory S/N hasn't caused canine extinction.

Diane

Msg: #5 in digest
Subject: Re: Mixed Breeds
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 14:06:38 -0400
From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
I really don't get the issue with adding mixed breeds to competition.  The
can't breed them and most us started out with mixed breeds or unregisterable
dogs.  We then found the breed we loved and moved on.  They are NO threat to
breeders.  Not to mention, with the economy in the pits and clubs folding, we
all need to find ways to generate income.  It's not just the AKC in dire
straights.
Many AB clubs have plenty of money in their coffers.  Maybe they can afford to
ban mixed breeds, but for how long?  Specialty clubs need to find ways to
generate income.  This is a good way to get income, spotlight our breed and get
people interested in the purebred dog.  How is that a bad thing?

Laura

BISS Ch. Echo-Cham's River Phoenix OFA H&E AKA "River"
Ch. Da-Jo's Crestview Ironman AKA "Tony"
Candia's Hard Rock Candy v Tejas AKA "Rocky"
Echo-Cham's Satin Doll v Tejas AKA "Dolly"