[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC and FSS

  • From: "Melanie Fuellgraf" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "valleydogs2000@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 22:02:10 -0700

Hi Zoe,
Below is correspondence AWSA received from AKC regarding their application to
the FSS.  Again it states that the GSDCA needs to "approve" the application.
Please note that this "APPROVAL" has been extended not only to the current AKC
white coated GSD, but also to imported Berger Blanc Suisse dogs.

Why should the GSDCA have any influence over a breed other than the GSD with
the AKC?   It is because the AKC (with the concurrence of the GSDCA delegate
/board?) has allowed these dogs of an entirely separate FCI breed to be
registered as an AKC GSD.

So, from my perspective, not only is the GSDCA Board not permitting the
membership to have a voice regarding allowing or approving the whites to be
recognized as a separate breed within AKC, but they are also allowing the
studbook to be denigrated by registering imported dogs of a different breed as
AKC GSD's.

Is there not a fiduciary responsibility to the GSD breed to maintain the
integrity of the AKC GSD studbook?  What will be the long term impact of doing
this?  Will it have an effect on the ability to export AKC GSD's to other FCI
countries?

Sadly, I can post as much as I want to on this list, (or am permitted to do so)
but I fear it will fall on deaf ears as there is no provision  within the
bylaws, regardless of how much membership support,  to bring either of these
items to a membership vote without the approval of the board.

Melanie Fuellgraf

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
From: Mari-Beth O'Neill <MBO@xxxxxxx>
To: "ReevesRoyl@xxxxxxx" <ReevesRoyl@xxxxxxx>
From: "Doc Zoe" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:34:38 -0400
Subject: AKC and FSS

From the AKC website (http://www.akc.org/reg/fss_details.cfm)

The FSS is not open to "rare" breeds that are a variation of an AKC-registrable
breed or the
result of a combination of two AKC-recognized breeds. This includes and is not
limited to
differences such as size (over and under), coat type, coat colors, and coat
colors and/or types
that are disqualifications from Conformation Events by AKC breed standards.

The Showgsd-l Administration
http://showgsd.org/
Email Changes: http://showgsd.org/mail.html
Admin: admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
ANNOUNCE NEW LITTERS: http://showgsd.org/goodlitterbox.html
THE NATIONAL BLOG http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/
NOTO BENE: DOC ZOE is not a voting member of the Admin Panel

http://showgsd.org/mail.html