[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Taking Command, trying again :-(

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:45:39 -0700

On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Stormy Hope wrote:

April 2010

 From our Nation's Capitol

Congress is on spring recess from March 26-April 9. Members will be
back on Capitol Hill starting Monday, April 11. Visit our 2010
Legislative Tracking Page and click on “US Fed” on the map to get the
latest updates on all federal bills currently being monitored by the
AKC.

News from the State Capitols

Thirty-three state legislatures and the District of Columbia are
currently in session. For the latest information on the approximately
1,000 state and federal bills being tracked by the Government
Relations (GR) Department, visit our 2010 Legislation Tracking page.
This page, updated daily, provides the latest bill text, status, and
Legislative Alerts posted by the AKC.

For more information on any of the measures mentioned, contact us at
(919) 816-3720 or doglaw@xxxxxxxx

Here are some of the highlights.

Local Battles

The AKC Government Relations Department continues to work with
responsible dog owners to help with canine legislation issues in their
local communities. If you hear of an issue in your town or county,
contact us at (919) 816-3720 or doglaw@xxxxxxxx We will be happy to
provide you with the resources, tools, and support you need to help
fight for responsible dog ownership in your community.

Here are some examples of the local issues currently being addressed
by AKC GR.

Breeder Battleground: Update from Missouri

Missouri has become a major battleground in the fight to own and breed
dogs. Activists from the HSUS, ASPCA, and other groups are soliciting
signatures to place breeder regulations on the November 2010 general
election ballot. AKC’s Missouri federation has responded with a law
suit and a proposed constitutional amendment to protect the rights of
Missourians to raise animals in a humane manner.

The precedents set here will likely impact other states in the future.
The AKC Government Relations Department urges clubs and breeders in
all states to study the Missouri situation as a possible precedent for
future actions in other states that allow for ballot initiatives. We
encourage you to support your state federations and unite together in
support of responsible dog ownership and breeding. Read more.

Elections Essentials – It's Time to Get Involved

As election season heats up around the country, we will be publishing
a series of articles on actions that dog clubs, owners and breeders
can do to make a difference. In this first installment, we provide an
overview of a variety of ways you can get involved.

Let's face it – politics isn't always the most popular topic. It tends
to be confusing, intimidating, and for many people just plain boring.
It's something that a lot of us would prefer to ignore. This year,
however, there are numerous elections that could impact our ability to
own and breed dogs. A large number of seats in local, state, and
federal offices will be up for grabs in both the primary and general
elections. As responsible dog owners, exhibitors, and breeders, we
cannot afford to sit on the sidelines as voters head to the polls to
choose candidates and decide the fate of ballot measures that will
significantly impact our rights.

Now is the time to make a difference by letting candidates know that
dog issues and the right to responsibly own, breed, and exhibit dogs
is a key issue in determining who will get your vote in November. Here
are some things you can do.

Participate in AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Days!

We encourage all clubs, federations and other dog organizations to
become involved in AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Days this September.
Educate attendees about their rights and responsibilities as dog
owners. Invite local legislators to attend and demonstrate how your
club or organization is promoting responsible dog ownership in your
community.

When inviting legislators, let them know specifically why they should
attend. Tell them this is a fun, family-oriented opportunity to
interact with constituents. Also let them know about the types of
events you are having, if there will be media present, and so on.
Offer to give them and their guests a personal tour of the event. If
there will be awards, ask them to present them. Let your legislators
know that you will announce their presence, or provide them a brief
chance to speak if it is appropriate.

If you do have legislators attend, be prepared. Give them a small
packet of information about responsible dog ownership, canine
legislation, and in particular any projects your club or organization
has done in the community.

This is an excellent opportunity to educate lawmakers in a fun,
relaxed environment. Educating them about the good works of
responsible dog owners and breeders (without bombarding them on
issues) is a wonderful way to establish a relationship with lawmakers
and let them know the value of supporting responsible dog ownership.

For more suggestions and ideas on communicating with lawmakers about
RDO days, contact the AKC Government Relations Department at (919)
813-3720 or doglaw@xxxxxxxx

See event ideas and more information.

New from the GR Toolbox:

Be an Effective Communicator!

As you talk with legislators and candidates about canine legislation,
it is important to make sure that your message is effective, and that
you know what to do when disagreements arise.  In the past, the AKC
has provided brochures entitled Disagree Diplomatically and Prepare
for Action to help you be a successful communicator and advocate.  The
newCommunicating Effectively with Your Legislatorshandout combines
these two brochures into your choice of a one-page, printable handout
or a colorful brochure that can be distributed to clubs and fellow
breeders to help ensure successful and effective communications with
lawmakers and candidates.

Click here to download the one-page handout.

Click here to download the brochure.

Visit the Government Relations Toolbox to access a wealth of materials
designed to help you be a successful advocate for responsible dog
breeding and ownership!

Spring is in the air! Throughout much of the country, the weather is
improving, flowers are blooming … and the election season is underway.

As dog lovers, we focus so much of our lives on our dogs. But too few
of us think about getting involved in politics as a way to ensure that
we protect our rights to own dogs. Unfortunately, challenges to our
rights are increasingly a fact of life for us. In the last year alone,
we've seen numerous proposals in nearly every state and many local
jurisdictions that would dramatically affect our ability to continue
to properly care for and breed the dogs we love.

Although it is only April, the AKC Government Relations Department is
already tracking almost 1,000 pieces of legislation that could affect
dog owners and breeders in 2010. Missouri is facing apotential ballot
measure that could significantly impact breeding in the state, and
responsible owners and breeders there are supporting legislation to
respond with a ballot measure of their own – an action that may be a
precedent for dog owners in other states.

Responsible dog owners and breeders can no longer sit on the political
sidelines. In this issue, we offer some simple suggestions on how you,
your friends, and fellow club members can make a difference in the
upcoming elections. We also unveil a new addition to our Government
Relations Toolbox to help you communicate effectively with lawmakers
and candidates.

I encourage you to take a few moments to take a look at the toolbox
and the numerous resources already added. Consider printing out some
materials and distributing them to colleagues and clients, at local
dog shows and events, and anywhere else dog lovers gather. This will
help spread the word about canine legislation and the very real threat
to responsible dog owners and breeders.

You may also want to consider partnering with others in your community
to organize a Responsible Dog Ownership (RDO) Day. Although most of
these events take place in September, it's not too early to begin
planning – and considering inviting local lawmakers to attend. RDO
Days are a terrific way to educate the public and lawmakers about the
wonderful things local dog clubs and organizations do to promote and
protect responsible dog ownership. Visit the AKC's Responsible Dog
Ownership Day web page for more information on these events.

The AKC Government Relations Department stands ready to assist you in
the fight to protect our dogs and our rights to responsibly own,
breed, and exhibit them. If you hear of an issue in your state or
community, or have questions about how to get involved in the upcoming
elections, do not hesitate to contact us.

We also want to hear your ideas. If you have a creative, effective way
of educating lawmakers or the public about canine legislation, be sure
to let us know. We'd love to share it with others.

Thanks again for your dedication. Let's make 2010 our best year yet!

All the best,

Sheila Goffe

Director of Government Relations

Contact Us

Phone: (919) 816-3720

Email: doglaw@xxxxxxx

Government Relations

Legislative Alerts

2010 Legislation Tracking

To be removed from our mailing list: Unsubscribe Here

If you have changed your email address: Change Address Here

To update your subscription preferences: Change Profile Here

We respect your privacy. Please read AKC's Privacy Statement.

American Kennel Club | 8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100 | Raleigh,
NC 27617

Customer Care Center (919) 233-9767 | info@xxxxxxx

© 2010 American Kennel Club