[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:25:14 EDT

Did anyone else get this from AKC?

Ileana

July 23, 2007
Dear Friend:
Your tireless work in defeating  California Assembly Bill 1634 was inspiring
and deeply appreciated. This  victory was truly a team effort and your
willingness to work so hard and long  is the hallmark of a true dog fancier.
We know  that you are exhausted from the fight, but we also know that this
type of  legislation will continue to be an issue. Therefore we want to ask you
and  your club to make the most of an upcoming opportunity to demonstrate the
power  of public education -- AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Day (AKC RDO Day).
Now in  its fifth year, this initiative has hundreds of AKC clubs and other
like-minded organizations holding free public education events all over the
nation throughout the month of September.
One of the  pillars of our opposition to legislation like AB 1634 is our
belief that  combating irresponsible pet ownership can best be achieved through

education--and we put those words into action every day of the year through
dog shows, community events, seminars, brochures and much more. However, we
can
exponentially increase our efforts and results by coming together to host
hundreds of local community events via AKC RDO Day.
Right now,  we have only about a dozen events in California. We hope to
ultimately have 100.  We call on all California fanciers to show solidarity by
signing up at _http://www.akc.org/clubs/rdod/index.cfm_
(http://www.akc.org/clubs/rdod/index.cfm) .  We recognize how much you have to
do and that taking on
another task may seem  unappealing, but please note that we make hosting an
event easy by providing  various resources such as a free materials kit and a
listing on our web site.  And, if hosting a table and handing out materials is
all
you can do â?? that is  enough! This can be easily accomplished at a regularly
scheduled September dog  show or club meeting where you invite the public to
attend.
We also  suggest these quick and simple ways to commemorate AKC RDO  Day:
Ã?        Write a letter to your local  newspaper using our template:
_http://www.akc.org/pdfs/clubs/AKC_RDO_DAY_sample_Letter_to_Editor.pdf_
(http://www.akc.org/pdfs/clubs/AKC_RDO_DAY_sample_Letter_to_Editor.pdf)
Ã?        Conduct an educational seminar at  a local school or library using
our PE materials. You can even invite a  legislator to co-host:
_http://www.akc.org/public_education/resources.cfm?page=4_
(http://www.akc.org/public_education/resources.cfm?page=4)
Ã?        Team up with another club or  organization already hosting an RDO
event.  Check listings at  _http://www.akc.org/clubs/rdod/events/index.cfm_
(http://www.akc.org/clubs/rdod/events/index.cfm)
Ã?        Write a letter to your legislator  inviting them to an RDO or other
AKC event. To really get them involved, ask  them to judge an event or present
a ribbon: _http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/gileg197.cfm_
(http://www.akc.org/canine_legislation/gileg197.cfm)
Ã?        Obtain a proclamation or  resolution from your local  mayor,
governor or representative in the  state legislature:
_http://www.akc.org/pdfs/clubs/How_to_get_an_official_proclamation.pdf_
(http://www.akc.org/pdfs/clubs/How_to_get_an_official_proclamation.pdf)
Again, we are deeply  thankful for all the work you do year round. We hope
you will consider taking  advantage of AKC RDO Day -- a special opportunity to
demonstrate our  incredible strength in numbers.
Regards,
AKC  Communications and AKC Canine Legislation  Departments
Contact us at _Communications@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Communications@xxxxxxx)  and
_Doglaw@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Doglaw@xxxxxxx)