[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Reps re: VENTING (long)

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MASSTANA@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:48:34 -0800 (PST)

I firmly believe that this breed, above all others, can be trained to work in a
varity of manners for show, or other jobs.  We can train our dogs to work one
way in a big grass ring with no AKC reps around and we can train them to gait
differently and bait for a small ring where we are all being watched.  The long
lead could represent a specialty and a shorter lead would be used in the
smaller all breed rings, with no pillars in the way.

  This will allow local all breed shows to be of use to use by way of larger
entry and it will make for showcasing our best dogs in a venue where there are
more likely to be people who are considering a show dog.  They can see dogs of
"specialty quality" winning in the all breed ring.  And some of our dogs who
are always shown in all breeds can compete against dogs that currently do not
come to all breeds.  This will help to unify our dogs' style and quality, and I
think it would benifit the breed.
  sheila
MASSTANA@xxxxxxx wrote:
  Well, Becky alluded to it earlier in a post to the List. Now I would like
to add some more to her comments. At the Worcester shows in Mass this
weekend, we had a great entry for an indoor series of shows. Diverse judges, a
bit
bigger ring and an overall nice facility. On Friday there were two
Specialities, one in the am with Rita Sandell and the other in the afternoon
with
Charlotte LaRosa. Rita's ring was ok for an indoor ring with two large pillors
in the center of the ring about 4ft by 4ft square each separated by 10 feet or
so. Her ring was 50 or 60 feet long and maybe 25ft wide. But at least she
could see them run on both long sides. This is where we got our first
inkling of what was in store for us.

While I was doubling my dog in the Am Bred class, I did a short whistle to
see if I could get his attention before the group started out (9 dogs). Or
maybe I called his name. Now I know that is verboten but what the heck it was
a big show and this was a big class. An AKC rep came up and said don't do
that. So ok, no more name calling and no short whistle. Then, just before he
started around the ring again I gave a kissing sound. Not loud, but enough
to get his attention before all the clapping started, I hoped. No such luck,
but sure enough the Rep came up and told me to stop again. So I stopped.
In the meantime 8 other exhibitors were doubling their dogs in the ring. I am
sure she went up to as many as she could find and gave them warnings. Mind
you there were no other classes within 4 rings of ours as this was not an all
breed show. There were other specialty shows going on however. She was
there because, she said that she had been asked to keep the Shepherd people
quiet prior to the show starting. The other breeds were tired of the doubling
that went on with the Shepherd folks. What a crock! Ok she was within her
rights with regard to loud noises and name calling. No problem. But a kiss?
Or even (as it occurred on the second day) not even a movement that would
alert a dog!!! Oh well.

In the 2nd show under Charlotte, the AKC rep warned her, and us, that she
would take down the wins if she observed doubling that was not censored by the
judge. To my way of thinking this puts the judge in the untenable position
of, while watching a dog, if it perked up it's ears, she was obliged to look
into the spectators and determine who made the dog look up!!!!!!!!!!!!! And
then make sure the person stopped that. I didn't think that was supposed to
happen!!!!!!!!!! I didn't think the judge was supposed to know who owned the
dog. Best solution of all, obviously, is to double your opponents dogs!!!!
Wow what a neat way to eliminate the competition!

Charlotte's ring was abominable. About 50 ft long by about 15ft wide. And
the ring entry was in the middle of one of the long sides. In order to get
a good view on the one good side, she should literally have stood outside the
ring and viewed the dogs gaiting only in one direction between two pillors.
Obviously this made the AKC reps job much easier. All she had to do was
stand at the one end of the ring. Anyone who moved, she glared at. If a dog
looked in that direction, that was a sin and she was going to find the devil
that caused such a breech of etiquette. She was nasty, threatening and
otherwise an unpleasant person. In fact during that show one of the exhibitors
got
nasty back at her and they threw him out and banned him from ever coming back
to that show again. He was lucky, I suppose, that he wasn't suspended by
the AKC from ever showing again anywhere in the US. Mind you this all happened
while his bitch was in first place and trying to stay there.

The 3rd show was even worse. We were back in the "big ring" for Sue Godek's
show and she had 72 entries. Now we are part of an All Breed show and other
breeds were all around. This time the AKC rep placed additional Stewards
outside the ring with instructions to throw out anybody they caught doubling.
Again on standing while the judge was looking at my dog and the handler was
fussing with him to make him look just so, I made a slight kissing sound.
Next thing I know I have two guys standing, one on each side of me, threatening
me with eviction if I did that again. And the rep was 20 feet away
glowering. So I shut up. The dog never did raise his head at that time and no
more
than 20 seconds later, on standing, he was placed 2nd. Now isn't that
special. I almost lost it, but didn't. One could only wonder what these people
would think of the doubling at the German Sieger Show!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We pulled our entries for the 4th show, more because of our bitch came down
with something, "crud", or what we don't know. But also because there was no
fun in just sitting there watching many dogs go around with their heads down
and not using themselves the way they were built to. These shows weren't
fun at all. I am sure the winners had fun, but that takes care of some 3
owners for each show. Many of the exhibitors were unhappy. Even some of the
winners. Interestingly there were a number of handlers who were happy to see
this all playing out because they had "bait trained" their dogs and didn't need
to have their dogs alerted at just the right time. I guess the answer is to
train our dogs to respond to bait. But what if the dog doesn't take to bait
training in the ring? At an all breed show you are skrewed!

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.
PS: Big congratulations to all the winners. Some really beautiful dogs and
bitches.
John

products.