[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Registration and GSDCA Flier and the Review

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tanksr@xxxxxxxxx" <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:39:36 -0600

I know my opinion isn't often the popular one with the "conformation only"
people, but I just have a different opinion sometimes when I look at things
from my own view.  And here's how I see it as...
John Q Pet Owner, who just got his very first AKC registered GSD's "papers"
in the mail, and hey, look! There's a membership flyer for the GSDCA here
too...  <reading & looking at pictures especially> oh and those dogs look
like my Max's mom & dad do. This club is for dogs just like mine.
Or... <looking at pictures and reading text> wow my dog nor his parents
look like that! This must not be the club for us since those are the dogs
they want. I'll just go join my local performance club instead.

What do we as GSDCA members want those potential members to think?  The
flyer is about marketing- and that marketing is to GET PEOPLE IN THE DOOR
so to speak - they can be "educated" as to what a conformation winning GSD
today is once they are members (aka interested in learning more about the
breed and possibly becoming involved). GSDs used to be the predominant
breed at obedience trials, etcetera. Now they are a rarity. (Very sadly)
 to attract the people with the pet GSDs and encourage them to be active
with those dogs in performance (after all, they are a dog and need
something to do too) trials hosted by local (or not) GSDCA clubs?  Put out
nice awards for performance and the participants come. It's exciting to get
a placement or new title rosette in obedience or any performance trials!
If we were receiving more membership revenue as a result of more
memberships sold, dues wouldn't need to be increased

JMHO, but think about it

Jen P & her Pack who never really looked at the flyers in forever knowing
what they were

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014, Ken Tank <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While the GSDCA is the guardian of the GSD Standard here, we need to
> remember that those of us who exhibit in conformation are a very small
> group. The flyer is aimed at encouraging everyone who has a GSD with the
> hope they may want to become involved in a club that welcomes them to
> pursue whatever type of competition they enjoy.
>
> I started with a bitch who, while well bred, was not good enough to finish
> so I went on to obedience and then got a good dog because people encouraged
> me. To be honest if this list existed then and I read some of the comments
> and witnessed the feeding frenzy of the few who just seem to always look to
> disparage those who volunteer to help, I probably would never have pursued
> conformation.
>
> If we aimed the brochure at the small group of conformation exhibitors it
> would not do much to encourage anyone to join the GSDCA. This was done 2
> years ago? All BOD members and committee members received a copy and it
> passed unanimously. Maybe those who are suddenly appalled should read the
> minutes.
>
> Our conformation shows are shrinking. Why not use all this energy for
> something positive like encouraging people to become involved in our sport
> or fighting anti-breeder legislation that threatens our sport?
>
> Hope you all have a great New Year.
>
> Ken Tank
>

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 11:06 AM, <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxx');>> wrote:
>
>> the Dr. And I agree on this one. While I understand the objections to the
>> white obedience GSD on the flier, the flier is aimed at NEW PUPPY owners!
>> I'd bet that 95 % of these dogs will never enter and compete at a serious
>> level in conformation! The flier is clearly directed towards folks that are
>> not club members. I would have NOT used the white dog in the flier but
>> based on who the intended audience is I don't have a problem with it!  Ed
>>
>> Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911 Canine Consulting
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
www.jaydeesphs.com

Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs...
Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
www.dogshowjuniors.com