[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC Parent Clubs, who are they?

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:59:11 EST

In a message dated 12/16/08 9:26:35 PM Pacific Standard Time, BARBMARKH
writes:
I would  take issue with that - Originally the clubs were formed and
became members  of the AKC but are you saying that if the AKC disbanned
that the GSDCA  would also disband?   Each club has its own members and
collects  its own dues - and pays dues to belong to the AKC - if the
parent clubs  withdrew from the AKC the AKC would still have all the
kennel clubs as  members.   Is it in the By Laws or some place else that
the  parent clubs exist solely for membership in the AKC?   Doesn't each
parent club act independently on behalf of its own breed?  If another
registration entity existed couldn't the clubs choose which one to
belong to?

The Parent Clubs would continue to exist, but to what end. They could  not
sponsor AKC shows, and if they were discharged by the AKC, the AKC would  just
have someone form new Parent Clubs.  It is sort of like a diamond. If  they
weren't controlled to be rare, what value would they have?

We do need to remember that the AKC owns the sandbox, and if we want to  play
in it, we have to recognize that fact.  I know we seem to feel the  GSDCA has
some power, and maybe they do. But, that power is granted due to the  AKC
recognizing them as the breed club.  There are many others that would  like to
serve in that position.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/