[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC Mixed breeds and how the English do it

  • From: "Arcturus" <Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:47:39 -0500

I asked a friend of mine who lives in England how the English Kennel club
handles this. She has Corgis and refers to this in her post.  printed with
permission

   "
First our breed clubs especially corgis both Cardigan and Pem only cater for
beauty shows. None of the Breed clubs put on performance
classes(obedience/agility/herding/tracking etc.)
Our Kennel Club registers the pedigree dogs (the ones with papers) on the pure
bred register. and then they register the crossbreeds/mongrels and un
registered pedigree dogs (ie ones from rescue and ones without papers) on the
Working and Obedience register.The Agility Clubs are just that clubs for
Agility and all dogs are welcome provided they are on one of the KC registers.
Obedience clubs are the same as are the Working trial clubs.
Therefore to do agility corgis must compete with all the other breeds in the
mini classes (crossbreeds/poodles/.terriers cockers spaniels/ CKCS etc/
Same applies for the obedience. Think both sports do have some classes for any
other breed other than Border Collie, which of course dominate the agility and
obedience classes.
Then we have what is now called Companion Dog shows (in the not too distant
past they were called Exemption Shows) which means although they are Kennel
Club licenced they are exempted from most of the KC rules and Regulations, All
dogs provided they are a proper breed even if the dogs are unregistered, can
enter the pedigree classes, only about six classes for pedigree are allowed to
be scheduled at a Companion  show and are usually Puppy/ Junior/  Non Sporting
Breeds/ Sporting Breeds/Veteran (thats 5 classes
Then the rest of the Classes scheduled are Waggest Tail/Prettiest Bitch /Most
Handsome dog /Best Cross Breed/Best Rescue/ Irish Brace (two dogs most
unalike!!) Best Condition etc. Companion shows are entered on the day, and
classes cost about £1-00 to enter and are run for Charities to which the
profit goes. Name of the Charity must be given when the licence is applied
for.to the KC Only the pet name of the dog entered is given although the owners
name and address must be on the entry form. Paper work is kept for 12 months by
the organizers (rules) and none of the wins count for anything , only the
prizes and rosettes won on the day. Usually companion show attract huge entries
as the donated prizes are great and it is a very relaxed fun day out.
As to corgi's know of about 4 corgi (pem) owners who do obedience and  train
and compete with all the other breeds in a Obedience training club and have
been told there are a couple of Cardi's doing Agility in Devon/Somerset but as
yet have been unable to track them down .
As to what I think its been the same in the Uk for as long as I can remember so
is an accepted fact of life, and quite a few of my friends started off with
crossbreeds, enjoyed the old Exemption shows got hooked on showing and now have
pedigree dogs.(my family has always had pedigree dogs of one breed or another
so guess I'm a snob!!!) Also we have a well known TV vet tell everyone that
crossbreeds are more healthy than pedigree dogs!!
Guess that helps to explain our different dog show scene over here!!
We also have puppy farmers (puppy mills) but provided the paperwork is correct
they KC register the pups !! Not something we all aprove of
hope that helps"