[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Conference - Confidentiality issues

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:45:00 -0400

It is interesting to note that in matters of law, such secret
meetings/executive meetings, whatever you want to call them, have been
found to violate
the intention of having such meetings, especially when serious decisions
and votes are made or take place at such "closed" sessions and the meetings
were closed to avoid open and perhaps heated discussion.  .
Open meetings laws "are there for a purpose:" public discourse and open
decision-making.  The purpose of the BOG is to advise
members  what business was conducted...closing sessions precludes this
information sharing...I would never myself take it to court..
.but I would bet a court would find the executive sessions held this
year, where the express purpose was to avoid public discourse
and open decision-making, that is, specifically to keep business secret
from the members, to be improper, and in violation of the spirit
of having such a club in the first place.
       I feel obligated to remind the list that if it were not for a
closed "executive" session, most of this nonsense would have occurred
anyway, because Andrew Hunte would never have been allowed to become a
member of the GSDCA.    That first closed meeting,
which resulted in him being allowed to become a member, is what started
all the problems we have faced this year with the possible
exception of the current situation concerning the Club Secretary.

         also, Mike Liosis notwithstanding, if he didn't have the GSDCA
By-Laws in hand, could very well have been speaking
out of turn.  Just because he works for the AKC doesn't mean he's
infallible.  Nice guy, tho.
   Peggy.........