[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC Club Reps?

  • From: Diane Wright <diwri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:42:03 -0700 (PDT)

Last night I attended my local dog club meeting.
The club's AKC rep was speaking about the losses from registrations.
MY INTERPRETATION of his opinion, was that AKC should loosen up their
registrations...making it possible for AKC registrations to compete with XYZ
registrations at the puppy stores.

The newcomers to the registration market offer papers, paid & "registered" at
the time of purchase at the pet store. AKC doesn't allow that, so AKC misses
out on registrations. "Why", he asked, "would a puppy buyer go with AKC over
these other registries?"

Well... I register with AKC so that my dogs can compete in AKC events. Other
registries don't have the events I'm interested in. AKC is also the brand name
registry & the others are store brand or generics.

If the average pet buyer just wants a pet & doesn't care to do herding or
whatever, they just want a dog.... why would they go with AKC?

I was in favor of AKC staying out of the instant registration at pet stores
because they shouldn't be encouraging people to buy their puppies from a
factory. That it might be an ok way to buy a gerbil or a bird or goldfish...
but not puppies.

He countered that that was a MORAL opinion... and didn't/shouldn't factor in to
the registrations are a source of income discussion. He said that "in America"
you can't tell people they can't do something. (Like sell puppies to pet
stores, I guess.)

???

So...

As a club's representative to AKC... is "my" representative supposed to support
the opinion of the majority of his club (i.e... not supporting puppy mills &
pet store puppy sales) or his personal opinion?

Thanks!
Diane