[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: AKC Chairman's report

  • From: Penny Kroh <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:15:48 -0500

Because the AKC is more than a simple registry and has been for quite
some time, it has spread itself thin.  It encompasses more than dog
shows and litter registrations; it polices these things too.  It has
competition from other registries.  The name of this capitalistic game
is to make money and stay afloat;  offer pedigrees, special programs,
allow mixed breed dogs into the many competitions the AKC offers.  Why
not?  It brings in revenue!  (And it also brings in NEW dog owners,
who might have been excluded otherwise.)  And if it trickles down to
help the all-breed and specialty clubs to survive, I say GOOD.
Penny in NY
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AKC Chairman's Report - November, 2009

We are offering mixed breed classes at our free standing obedience,
rally and agility trials - we feel it is a way to get the person who
wants to join in the sport a chance to come and get involved. We
support responsible dog ownership and these are dog owners. We also
feel that if the mixed breed owner gets a chance to see us and our
dogs in a positive light, there is a good chance to get them involved
in purebred dogs.
Of course we are not discounting the fact that we might well pick up
additional entries and that would make our specialty events better
funded.
Ruth