[ SHOWGSD-L ] AKC Chairman's Report - November, 2009

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Show List GSD <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:17:59 -0800

AKC Chairman's Report - November, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: November 10, 2009
Contact: AKC Communications
Phone: 212-696-8343
E-mail: _communications@communi_ (mailto:communications@xxxxxxx)

CHAIRMAN'S REPORT

-- New Canine Partners Program Welcomes Mixed-Breed Dogs into the
World of
AKC --

New York, NY - For the past 125 years, the American Kennel Club® has
been
the only organized group of dog lovers providing millions of purebred
dogs
and their owners with engaging, lasting and just plain fun ways to
celebrate the canine-human bond. AKC programs span the entire spectrum-
from highly
competitive events to basic training, from funding research that
advances
canine health to returning lost dogs home safely- the overall well-
being of
dogs is the theme that runs consistently throughout all our efforts.

Purebred enthusiasts, by sharing their love of dogs with each other,
have
sprouted thousands of dog clubs throughout the country. These club
members,
a dedicated group of volunteers who rally around common goals promoting
responsible breeding and dog ownership are the rich soil that all AKC
programs grow and thrive from.

Now, we are pleased to be able to extend many of the benefits of AKC
affiliation to a whole new audience-mixed breed owners. These millions
of dog
lovers will now be able to do more with their pets by enjoying the
excitement
of canine competition and accessing a myriad of other AKC resources and
services.

I hope you will join me in encouraging the mixed-breed dog owners that
you
know to visit www.akccaninepartneI hope you will join me in
encouraging the
mixed-breed dog owners that you know to visit
www.akccaninepartne<WBR>rs.org and enroll in AKC Canine Partners. For
the $35 enrollment fee, owners
will receive benefits including AKC CAR lifetime enrollment, a free AKC
collar tag, and a one-year subscription to AKC Family Dog magazine.
Come next
spring they can participate in stand-alone Agility, Obedience and Rally
events. By providing these services to dog owners we can help educate
them about
living better lives with their dogs, and by including a certificate of
recognition and decal with their enrollment, we can enable them to prou

So far, the program is being enthusiastically embraced by the fancy with
more than 300 AKC-affiliated clubs-Upper Snake Valley Dog Training Club,
Inc. in Idaho being the first-having applied to include mixed-breed
classes in
an upcoming event. Equally encouraging are the more than 1,150 dogs that
have already enrolled in just the first month of the program.

Please help us extend the welcome mat to our mixed-breed friends by
encouraging enrollment in AKC Canine Partners and by adding mixed-
breed classes
to your club's upcoming stand-alone companion events. The program will
bring
many like-minded people together- those who share our passion for dogs
and
our commitment to responsible dog ownership, those with the power and
desire to contribute to their communities via locally-based clubs and
those who
embody the AKC mission of being a powerful voice that is "the dog's
champion" in every way.

Sincerely,

Ron Menaker
Chairman

###

The American Kennel Club (AKC), proudly celebrates its 125th Anniversary
in 2009. Since 1884 the not-for-profit organization has maintained the
largest registry of purebred dogs in the world, and today its rules
govern more
than 20,000 canine competitions each year. The AKC is dedicated to
upholding the integrity of its registry, promoting the sport of
purebred dogs and
breeding for type and function. Along with its nearly 5,000 licensed and
member clubs and its affiliated organizations, the AKC advocates for the
purebred dog as a family companion, advances canine health and well-
being, works
to protect the rights of all dog owners and promotes responsible dog
ownership. Affiliate AKC organizations include the AKC Humane Fund,
AKC Canine
Health Foundation, AKC Companion Animal Recovery and the AKC Museum of
the
Dog. For more information, visit www.akc.org.

AKC, American Kennel Club, the American Kennel Club seal and design, and
all associated marks and logos are trademarks, registered trademarks and
service marks of The American Kennel Club, Inc.